Before XII

Prince Xalvador didn't believe it until he saw the corpse, face unrecognizable with limbs and bone twisted into abnormal angles.

It was the hair that proved the the identity of the body.

Long golden terraces, unique to the Graffian household.

"I must apologize for what had happened," King Terrance said with a sigh as the coroner pulled the white cover over the princess's body. "She was quite troubled here, but we never expected her to take her own life."

No one spoke. Cedric felt his heart and body grow cold as he stared at what remained of Princess Seline, the most beautiful and gentlest soul one could meet.

Prince Xalvador broke the silence within the cold dark tunnel. 

"She won't do something so foolish."

"I know this might be hard to take in_"

"And the body is just a day old! She was just alive yesterday!"

"I am aware_"

"Don't blame us for a fault of hers," Prince Trevlyan said from behind. "She took her life of shame of her actions."

"And what actions are those? Being born a Graffian?"

"Her persistent pursuit of my heart which harmed so many around her. The atrocities she performed are well known throughout the kingdom!"

"Trevelyan!" The king said.

Cedric stepped closer to the body, where a slender pale hand was sticking out from the white drapes. The hand was thin, bony angles showing through. He lifted up the hand and stared at the nails which were round and yellowed before lifting the drapes off again.

"Cedric," Prince Xalvador said.

Cedric closed his eyes for a while before opening them and examined the body with his eyes.

"Your highness, I wish to perform an autopsy, with your permission."

"She jumped down a tower!" Prince Trevlyan yelled. "Isn't it obvious."

"Yes," Cedric replied. "If your stories are true, then there should be no reason for her to look so ill, unless you mistreated her enough to force her to commit suicide to escape."

King Terrance took in a deep breath.

It was a heavy accusation.

"How dare _"

But King Terrance raised his hand and the crown prince's words cut short.

"I will allow it," Prince Xalvador replied.

"But in the presence of our court physicians," King Terrance replied.

Prince Xalvador didn't dare to step into the autopsy room. The two bells length of time which Cedric took to perform the autopsy felt like an eternity as the autopsy room of the catacombs laid closed. Rumours soon went around that an apprentice knight was conducting an autopsy and a few knight were led down to the corridor by manservants to witness the cause of death.

Most expected a conspiracy, some expected it to be a foolish endeavor. Assistants ran out of the room and back, carrying bottles and flasks.

Finally, Cedric and the two court physicians who entered the room came out, their face gloomy.

"Her kidneys were damaged," the court physician started. "Her muscles were wasted. There was a black lines along her gums. Her nails curved and brittle. We performed tests on the blood and bone marrow... Her body has traces of the black-curse."