Before III

Ever since then, Cedric met Wilhelm quite often for the young master of the Shield family usually grooms his master's horse the same time Cedric did. And they were usually the only ones in the tables. Cedric had to find a new brush and polish, and he learned to hide the equipment before he left for the day. Surely the senior apprentices won't be able to snoop around in the stables when Black-Bird inside.

Mr. Kellen mentioned that Sir Gerald was meaning to teach Cedric how to ride a horse, and he was not ashamed to admit that he was a bit excited.

"You should be glad they are not messing with you directly. Things could get worse," Wilhelm said one day, seeing Cedric coming to the stables dripping wet. It seems they found his new route. He had to find a new route again.

"This is not direct?"

"They could break one of your bones," Wilhelm replied.

"Why don't they?"

"Isn't it because of your mentor? He personally choose you. Sir Gerald is known to be... Fierce."

"You mean with psychotic and sadistic tendencies and very horrendous insults?"

Wilhelm visibly finched before looking around. "Aren't you frightened that someone might repeat your words to him?"

"That happens?" Cedric asked, amused.

"Alot."

"Are people in the palace that jobless?"

"Pretty much yes."

"But why?"

"So that they can get someone into trouble without getting their hands dirty."

"That's quite dishonourable."

Wilhelm chuckled. "If you had someone you didn't like and there was nothing you could do to him, what would you do?"

"What do you mean by there is nothing I could do to him?"

"Huh? Seriously? I thought you were smart. Like when if you get this person into trouble, you would get into trouble as well. So you don't want others to know that it was you who got him into trouble and make it seems like he got into trouble by himself."

Cedric took a long time to think. "Hypnosis is a good way."

Wilhelm simply stared at Cedric. "Sir Gerald really did choose someone weird in the head as he is."

Cedrt shrugged as he continued to groom Black-Bird's coat. "My mother always believed there was something wrong with my head."

"Mothers are always right," Wilhelm said, nodding. But they his face soured. "So much so it can be a bit creepy at times."

And so life carried on as usual. The frequency that Cedric and Wilhelm met shifted from the simple chats in the stables to them meeting willingly by the courtyards to talk. The palace had alot of courtyards and the corridors surrounding them were famous places for people to meet up and talk and for the children who resided in the palace to play. Mr. Kellen found himself dumbstruck when he learned from Cedric that he actually talks to the prodigy of the Shield household.

So much so that Mr. Kellen and Sir Gerald followed Cedric to spy on them. What they found were the two boys talking, one animatedly while the other with serious nods and an occasional word as he listened attentively.

"Mrs. Gregory would surely be proud. Goodness my stars, he actually found a friend!" Mr. Kellen said, tears streaming down his eyes.

Sir Gerald studied his butler, feeling that ever since he brought the apprentice, his butler had been too energetic and weird.