1. juvenile detention.

setting : central juvenile hall
                             los angeles, CA
                 date: april 20 2021
time: 4:55 PM

NO POV

. it was the start of a new day in the juvenile detention center. the kids sat in boredom and misery for a while.

it was pretty quiet, no one made a lot of noise since half of the kids either just wanted to leave, or didn't want any trouble.

a buzzing noise was heard from the downstairs door, it's usually the place where new inmates are taken into the center.

all the kids come out their cells to see the new comers. they see two boys. one sitting calm on one of the lunch tables seats, and another making a fuss with an officer.

the one who's calm is lanky, has waves, and is dark skin. the other male is lanky as well, has braids in a beautiful pattern, and seems to be more aggressive.

everyone stays silent as they watch the boy hopelessly fight the now officers grabbing on to him.

"let me go home!"

the boy yells until finally he calms down. they sit him down next to the other boy, letting them get a glimpse of each other.

the officers turn back around from the corner the braided hair boy was fighting in and yell at all the kids out side of their cells.

"get back in the cells now!!"

every kid begins to run back inside from fear of getting in trouble. while the officer watches, in one swift move, the other presses two buttons.

one to close the cells and another to close the front door. after that happens, an officer comes in front of the two boys, to get them registered before assigning them to a cell.

"starting with you, what's your name"

the officer points to the boy on the right, the boy on the right happens to be tyler okonma, aka the calm kid.

"tyler, tyler gregory okonma"

"ok and your date of birth?"

tyler inhales sharply before answering the question.

"march 6th 2007"

"ok so you're 15, race, african american, and your height?"

"6'2"

the officer writes the rest of the information down and puts it in the system.

"ok tyler, you guys will be identified by numbers and your name, so your number is 223"

tyler nods in understanding as his eyes carry themselves into other areas of the center.

"alright now you, name?"

the officer seemed more stern with the other boy. the other boys name was rakim, but for the sake of keeping his record straight he was gonna go by rocky.

"rakim athelanston mayers"

tyler had made a face at the long middle name, but he made sure to remember the full name as well.

"date of birth?"

"october 3rd 2006"

"ok and height?"

"5'10"

"alright your identity number is going to be 224"

rakim gave a quiet "aight" and moved on. he looked at tyler and tyler looked at him, but became awfully intimidated and looked away immediately.