Chapter 3

Lisa had always known she was different from most noble ladies. She always felt different, well—rather, her heart felt different than most should, during her time of life. No, it was not because of her need to fight and train amongst the men, nor was it because she knew she was more intelligent than most. It was because she knew, that in her heart, she can never love a man.

She tried her very hardest but her heart never fluttered, not even when the men removed their shirts during training. She would stare at their glistening, toned chest and rippling cores and wonder why her heart never raced or why she could never blush in flusteration.

However, in that same year, a new servant of hers arrived and she was quite young and rather beautiful. Her name was Irene. She was solely there for a month, taking over her aunt's position when her aunt grew ill. Lisa remembered hearing the odd beat of her heart from the sight of her gentle smile and dark eyes.

She remembered sitting down and staring at Irene's fair features from the reflection of the mirror as she brushed Lisa's hair. The way her touch was gentle and soothing, goosebumps would rise every time. Her fingers would accidentally graze the back of Lisa's neck and butterflies would erupt in her stomach.

She was confused, deeply confused. Till one day, just as she was about to turn 18, she caught her dearest best friend kissing a woman in the backroom of her pastry shop. Instead of growing ballistic as the way Rosé and her lover was, Lisa simply said, 'I believe I'm interested in women as well.'

Lisa wasn't upset with the idea. Instead, it felt rather freeing knowing who she really was. Her father and brother were clueless to her self revelation, however. She believed there was no reason to peep a word until she found a woman she would be interested in.

However, she did not expect her heart to reach for Jennie.

"Is something bothering you, your highness?"

Lisa blinked and looked away from the window. Her eyes met with the concern swimming in Jennie's gaze and smiled softly,

"No, I apologize. I suddenly grew distracted from the beauty of the garden."

Jennie turned to stare at the colorful flowers with a smile of content,

"Yes. They're breathtaking."

Lisa stared for a moment, before nodding in determination. She closed the book and placed it on the desk and stood up. She cleared her throat,

"Lady Jennie," she called. Jennie looked up in curiosity but smiled nonetheless. She always smiled around Lisa and Lisa quite enjoyed being the reason for her beautiful smile.

"Yes, your highness?" Jennie slowly closed the book and placed it onto the table with eyes shimmering knowingly.

Lisa offered her hand, "Perhaps you would be so kind to accompany me to the garden. I believe it is becoming rather dusty here so, taking a nice stroll should be more than adequate."

A small giggle slipped from Jennie's alluring lips before she met the mischief and Lisa's eyes, "Indeed. The cool air  would be most refreshing," she said, placing her hand gently in Lisa's before standing up as well.

Her touch.

Jennie's hand was in hers and Lisa could not look away from how well Jennie's gentle hand looked on her own as she stood up.

Suddenly, an image of her lips ghosting over Jennie's knuckles before placing a gentle kiss upon it appeared in her mind. She couldn't stop the way her thumb caressed her knuckles and when her sight landed on Jennie's eyes, her breath hitched.

Jennie was staring intently into Lisa's eyes with a slight blush in her cheeks.

Instantly, Lisa gently dropped their hands. A blush was beginning to form so she swiftly turned around and cleared her throat,