1.9 | SMILE

IRINA DIDN'T REMEMBER MUCH FROM HER CHILDHOOD, BUT NOTHING SHE DID WAS GOOD. She remembered being forced away from Melina with Natasha and Yelena. She remembered as she sat with her friends in the back of the truck on her way to be transported. She remembered as they were all pulled from one another, Natasha saying goodbye to her little sister and not her love. 

Every moment in the red room was a scary one. Even as she was praised for her good work in skills, she still felt constantly sick to her stomach. But it didn't mean she wanted to die. She'd take the anxiety over it any day. 

Irina very rarely saw Natasha and only saw Yelena once during her time in the red room. The girls had all been separated as Dreykov and Madame B. knew how much they cared for one another. And how smart the older two were. Over time, Irina forgot about her friends. Natasha had escaped in 2009 and it was the talk of the agency. Irina could only hope Natasha would come back for her. But as the days, weeks, months, and eventually, years went on, she gave up on that hope. Natasha wouldn't come back for her. 

So she gave it her all. She worked harder and harder every day. She hoped one day Natasha would come back and she could make Nat pay for leaving her there. Irina worked through the broken bones and torn muscles. She didn't give up when Dreykov got closer to her, putting her on more intimate and solo missions. He trusted her. He trusted all of his girls. He had trained them. Forced them with new engineering to do whatever he wanted them to.

The woman had been on intel and kill mission. It was quick. Easy. Simple.

So when she heard the voice of the girl who abandoned her, left her to die, she froze. She was so angry in that moment, that all she could think was about how to take down Natasha. She was so distracted Natasha slipped into her mind easily and took her down within minutes.  

But when she was knocked out of her control, she realized she was free. That she didn't have the mean old man giving her orders anymore and it was so freeing. But it threw Irina for a loop. All she wanted to do was hold Nat and never let go, but she had so much anger and resentment built up, that the most she could do was smile. And when she was asked to go to a place that only existed in her worst nightmares, she was hesitant. But at the end of the day, she loved Natasha and would do anything to help the redhead.