twenty-five

Mason's POV:
A month later...
The tossing, the turning, the insomnia, the constant cycle of not being able to sleep. Suffering from nightmares isn't always so easy, It's scary. After Ella left, they gradually got worse. It was the distance and not being able to see or hold her again that scared me the most. But now that she's back, they've sort of gone away...

It's nightmares of the last night I saw her begging her to come back but she walks off. Memories of a kid, or just seeing an old lady dressed in black that scares me.

Frustrated and groaning I get up from the hot, covered, and sweated bed. I have to get up for training either way. After taking a shower, and changing into training gear, I head off to Cobham. Near when I get to the parking lot fans are aligned up, holding posters, waiting for shirts to be signed, etc. I take a couple of pictures, sign autographs, and whatnot.

Near the entrance, the media crew is there with cameras, asking about the upcoming game, or simply how our morning has been. My phone vibrates in my pocket, deciding to ignore it till it goes off again. Ella. I rush to answer.

"Hi good morning! Am I calling at a bad time?" she asks unsure, I smile at her nervous voice picturing her in my head. "No, not at all. I just got to Cobham. Is everything all right?" she lets a puff of relieved air, making me chuckle.

"Okay well I was wondering if your offer was still on the spot?", I walk into a secluded hallway, attempting to recall any last offers I made to her. "Uh, what offer?"

"About the promotion at my job, I was wondering if you were still up for going, as my plus one" her voice trails off at the end, "So as your date?".

"Yes. But I completely understand if you're not available. I know you're busy training, doing interviews, and your first game is coming up so I won't bother-" she begins to slur and speed up on her words, "Ella breathe, yes, of course, I'm still up to go with you! Just let me know when it is".

"It's actually this Saturday, I'm going to buy a dress today. But I was wondering if you'd like to come with me shopping. We can look for a tux or nice formal outfit..," I smirk, not saying no to that, I keep my composure. "Perfect. Should I meet you somewhere?"

"Ah yes! Meet me at the local mall in the city. I know you'll probably be exposed but we can make it work out." She's right but I'm sure nothing will happen or go wrong. "Perfect. I'll see you soon Ella."

"Bye Mason. Have fun at training!" she hangs up the call, I smile to myself not even noticing when Kai mentions it. "Was it Ella?" I nod and he walks off laughing.

I'm constantly getting teased but he just proposed, what difference is that making??? The entire training we all fooled around but did work. Preparing for Saturday at the bridge against Westham. Should be seeing familiar faces that evening.

"So how are you and Ella doing?'' Ben asked untying his cleats, his question caught me off guard making me smile over the month. How could I describe it? It's been magical, and painful, but overall just perfect.

"Good, she invited me to her promotion at work this weekend, it's after the game. But to answer your question in-depth, I haven't been this happy in a while. She's become something regular and part of my life now, but I'm not complaining. She's everything I could've ever dreamed of..."

"Wow. You're whipped bro. So happy for you, it's clear she does make you feel well. These last training sessions have proved it as well. And Luka?" Christian adds on as he walks into the locker room. He sits beside me untying his cleats as well. "He's so goofy and cuddly. He's the cutest, reminding me of my niece at times. Look at this video."

At this point, everyone joins in, including Tuchel! It's a video of me and him running around, I hide and when he finds me he runs away. In the end, I carry him and he snuggles his head on my neck. Moments like this make me feel like a dad, but I'm not one yet, lets's not get ahead of ourselves Mason.