𝐂𝐇𝐀𝐏𝐓𝐄𝐑 𝐍𝐈𝐍𝐄

❝ 𝒶 𝓂𝒶𝑔𝓃𝑒𝓉 𝒻𝑜𝓇 𝒹𝒶𝓃𝑔𝑒𝓇 ❞

🚗

Warm colours of gold and orange illuminated the sky as the dawn of the new day blended into clear blue. The silver truck sped down the road that appeared both completely straight and that it flowed onwards endlessly, speeding into California.

The three companions were back on the road after a well needed and well deserved good night's sleep. Tom kept his hands to the wheel with confidence as his azure gaze remained fixed to what the car's wheels pressed against.

Sonic was once again perched within (Y/n)'s lap, fur tickling her fingers and chin as they recreated the same seated position as before.

It was comfortable for both of them.

Especially (Y/n).

Before she dropped into sleep herself the previous night she had observed Sonic's childlike behaviour, finding his character in general suddenly irresistible.

The events of the last day or so continued to play in her mind like a video tape stuck on loop, warmth bubbling in her chest every time she thought of the moment they discovered him to the chaos of the bar the night before.

When she watched him fall into deep and peaceful slumber beside her just a few hours ago it seemed to hit her, the reason why her hand refused to stop caressing his quills until she slept alongside him.

Just so suddenly, and at what felt like an inconvenient time.

She knew she couldn't say anything right now. She felt like it would seem strange, as they'd only known each other personally for a couple days.

But it was now or never...

I don't want to let him go... but I just want him to be safe...

"So, what's on your bucket list?" Sonic innocently gazed up to (Y/n), mesmerising shade of green snapping her from her thoughts.

"Well, I can't really say I've made one. But I just want to do the things that every kid my age would say; do well at school and get a good job. I'm sure more will come..."

Like wanting you to stay here forever...

Sonic kept the gaze within his fluffy face focused on her with every word, completely interested. (Y/n) smiled to him as he turned to her father after a couple nods of recognition.

"What about yours?"

"Mine?"

"Yeah, everyone has a bucket list, right?"

"Well, sure, but... I mean, you're the one leaving Earth. And I'm not planning on dying anytime soon." Tom chuckled.

Sonic laughed along with him. "Don't be so sure, your best friend is a magnet for danger."

"You're anointing yourself as the bestie?"

Sonic nodded happily, only for the rare feelings of true joy that thrived within him to feel like a fragment had been shattered.