New Job and New Year

1940

November

"Betty, quit pacin', you'll wear a hole in the rug!"

"Sorry Steve," Betty stopped pacing up and down the living room, but she unconsciously twisted her fingers together. "I'm so nervous. I really want this, but I don't think it's gonna happen."

"Don't be such a yuck Bets. You totally deserve it," Steve said with a confidence that Betty didn't feel.

"But I've only been qualified for a short time. They're gonna think I'm a fool."

"They're gonna see how amazin' you are and beg you to take the job. I absolutely believe that Betty. You're dedicated, confident, smart...You've got this in the bag."

"I dunno Stevie..." she bit her lip.

Steve was concerned at Betty's uncharacteristic lack of self-confidence. He'd been worried about her for a couple of months now but every time he'd tried to speak about it, she'd brushed him off or changed the subject. He'd have asked Bucky to talk to her, but it was obvious that things were awkward between them too. Ever since their "date" Betty had thrown herself into work, picking up extra shifts and spending more time at Dot's place. He let out a sad sigh. He felt guilty for trying to force a situation on them that they'd clearly not wanted. Betty's voice broke his reverie.

"I guess it's time for me to set off. Do I look OK?" she asked, smoothing the front of her uniform.

"You look like you're ready for promotion." Steve grinned. "D'ya want me to walk with you, for company?"

"No thanks Stevie, I'll be fine."

"OK, well I won't say good luck because you don't need it." Wrapping his arms around her and squeezing tight, he pressed a quick kiss on her cheek and tugged on her hair. "Knock 'em dead Sis."

She laughed as she left the apartment and Steve felt relieved that he'd managed to coax it out of her. She didn't do that enough these days.

Steve had spent most of the day with Bucky, working on illustrations for class and arguing about baseball. When he heard the slow footsteps approaching the apartment door later that afternoon, Steve looked up at Bucky in alarm. They didn't sound like the excited steps of someone with good news. Damnit, he thought, as Betty entered the room, head hung low, and shoulders drooped. Steve reached out to her as her shoulders began to shake but then he heard a trickle of laughter spill from her lips before she lifted her head. Sunshine beamed from her face.

"I got the job!" she squealed, jumping up and down, before exploding into giddy twirls.

Steve grabbed her and joined her whirling around.

"Congratulations, Doll." Came Bucky's deep tones from where he had risen from the table. She stopped spinning and looked over at him, eyes guarded, and her smile dropped just a fraction.

"Thanks," she said, curtly, politeness winning over her animosity.

"Sister Rogers, gee Betty, that sounds so good." Steve gushed. "I'm so proud of you."

Betty squealed again, dancing up and down on her toes.

Bucky cleared his throat and came a few steps closer. Steve looked at his friend, noticing the expression on his face, and backed up a little, giving him some space. Nervously rubbing the back of his neck, Bucky slid his hand into his back pocket.

"I, uh, I knew you'd get the job. You're fantastic at everythin' you do Doll, so I already got you a gift to say congratulations and everythin'."

"You didn't have to do that Bucky," Betty couldn't hide her surprise.