25

Nine Months Later

_________________________________________

NINA

The nightclub always meets its peak sometime past midnight. Nina should know. She visits regularly, as the nightclub always has what she's looking for. Alcohol, music, and of course, money. Less on the music, though. She's never been one to dance.

This particular night is more hectic. The music is louder, the people more boisterous. It could do with it being the weekend, but this far surpasses every other Saturday. Maybe it's the influx of college kids paying a visit. Spring break did just let out. Though, Nina isn't sure why they would vacate in Savannah, Georgia of all places. But students these days are different. She hasn't been back ever since she graduated high school nine years ago.

Nonetheless, Nina is enthralled. It's the energy. She feeds into it much more than everybody else, because deep within the blaring music and tasteful alcohol is a world only she's part of. She navigates her way through the crowd for the bar, because nights out at the club are always supposed to start with liquor. And what better than a glass of cosmopolitan.

Then something new catches Nina's eyes. As recurring as her visits are to that club, she still takes it upon herself to study the environment, searching for things that stick out. It's a girl this time, propped up against the bar, trying to blend in with the rest of the rowdy crowd. But Nina can tell she doesn't belong, such as when she once dyed her hair brunette, only for the blonde roots to betray that after weeks only.

Nina can't help but be enthralled by this girl as much as the club. The red satin dress stops somewhere around her thighs, and from the side Nina can see that it's backless.

There's something else more eye-catching. The ink on The Girl's back; a Chinese dragon. It starts just above her waist and curls its way up to the top. The head rests on the right side of her shoulders, baring its fangs at anyone who dares to look. Its intricacy and details are by no means poor, as seen by the number of scales and talons that extend from the slim reptile. There's no color to it, just a traditional black ink.

Nina smiles. This girl must be new.

"Your dress. I love it."

The Girl turns to her, perplexed. Nina decides to clarify. "Please don't mind me. You're very gorgeous."

To this, The Girl smiles. Everyone loves compliments. Nina keeps up with the conversation. "I'm Nina, by the way."

"Do you usually, like, ogle girls at nightclubs, Nina?"

Nina only laughs, now much more entertained. "You're new, aren't you?"

The Girl looks at her with astonishment. "Oh, my God, how did you know? I just moved to this city, actually."

"I could tell." She switches gears over to the tattoo again, because the details are nothing short of impressive. "How long did it take to have that tatted?"

The Girl's hand goes to her back almost instinctively. "Um . . . I'm not sure, but it hurt like shit." She even laughs, and Nina finds herself more sure of this catch she's wandered upon. "But, like, I think it was worth it because I got another one after that." The Girl lifts her dress until the tattoo comes into view. This one is much more simple; a curvy snake that loops around her right thigh.