Chapter 4

"No, get him out of here," Luke said, of all people.

"Luke!? Why!?" Hailey asked, mostly surprised.

Luke's expression darkened so much that I genuinely thought that a pit to Tartarus was going to open up. Everyone in the club forgave me, Milly, Zander, Hailey and even Sean. Despite how horrible I was, they all let me have another chance. Luke, however, was much angrier and less inclined to see me at all.

"I may be nice, but I have my limits. He hurt you guys, my chosen family. He hurt Zander, the person I love more than anyone else in the world. Hailey, he destroyed you! How could you possibly give him another chance!?" Luke yelled.

"He didn't mean the things he said, and I believe that," Hailey responded, fighting for me.

"Oh come on! He bullied you for years! How could you possibly buy that!" Luke retorted, bringing up a fair and valid argument.

"Because I have faith in him and think that he would never do that," she said, getting slightly angrier.

"That's a load of bullshit. Even you wouldn't forgive someone on their second chance, what's the real reason? Was it that declaration of love? Did that get to you?" Luke began getting even angrier.

"I LOVE HIM, OKAY? I HAVE FAITH IN HIM AND I KNOW HIM BETTER THAN ALL OF YOU DO! I KNOW HE WOULD NEVER DO THAT TO US, TO ME! He was pressured into it, Zoey sent it to us of all people, we sure as hell can't trust her! JAKE EVEN TOLD ME WHAT HAPPENED, THEY PRACTICALLY BULLIED HIM INTO SAYING IT! During his worst, we all abandoned him. We should all be fucking ashamed." Hailey yelled.

The room was silent as Hailey ran off.

"HAILEY!" I called as I ran to catch up to her.

I ran erratically, trying to find Hailey and ended up in a storage room on the nearly abandoned third floor.

"Ah! There you are, I thought I lost you..!" I said as I collapsed on the floor from all the running.

"Eh, sorry Jake, I just got a bit defensive."

"Well, I think you were amazing and thank you for defending me, I don't deserve it."

"Stop saying that, you definitely deserve it. It's just... Luke has more trust issues than anyone else in the club."

"Really?"

"Yeah... When he was younger, his mother left and his father was forced to raise him alone on a minimum wage job. His dad had to go through hell to provide for him and Luke has trouble trusting people because of his abandonment issues."

"I-"

"Forget I said that, just give him some time."

"O-okay..."

"You wanna grab something to eat, Jake?"

"Yeah, that'd be nice."

-------------------------------------------------------------

After consuming copious amounts of glucose, sucrose, fructose and other sugars, I was thoroughly stuffed.

Break was almost over, so Hailey and I made our way back to school, anticipating 2 hours of boring classes.

Instead,  we got the least boring and most scary classes in the history of the universe.

"HE IS INCOMPETENT! I'M TELLING YOU, INCOMPETENT!" Screamed Luke, apparently not caring that music class had begun and it was time for seriousness.

Mr.Erikson tried to calm Luke down, but the rage I'd flipped him into was no match for anyone.

"Luke, calm down, class has begun."

"NO, MR.ERIKSON, I'M NOT GOING TO CALM DOWN. YOU'RE TELLING ME IT'S TOO LATE TO FIND AN ALTERNATE SOLUTION SO WE HAVE TO PERFORM WITH THIS SHIT!?" He said, gesturing towards me.

"Luke. One bad moment doesn't define someone's entire character. Can someone call room 201?" Mr. Erikson pleaded.

A student ran over to the phone to call down the guidance counsellor.

"IT'S NOT JUST ONE BAD MOMENT! HE BULLIED US FOR YEARS AND WE GAVE THAT LITTLE SHIT A CHANCE! NOW HE PULLS WHATEVER THE FUCK THIS IS!? HELL NO!"

Nope nope nope nope

That's it for me, I have to.

"Oh my god, can it," I said

After a few days of this menial bullshit, I began to get tired of it. I was done with the stress and it all just needed to end there.

"You have some NERVE Sterling..." Luke replied

"I said what I said, I didn't mean it. That's that Luke. None of us want to drag this on any longer than we have to. We all want to be on that stage in 3 days, let's just make that happen and fight like children after." I said, finally done with all this.

Luke seemed to go through the 18 stages of grief, eventually landing on the 18th. 

"Fine." Luke said through gritted teeth

Well, that's a relief.

At least it was until the guidance counsellor came up.

"What's going on here Mr.Erikson? I got the call and your student sounded panicked." The guidance counsellor said

"Well, Luke here was flipping shit." Mr. Erikson replied

"Okay then. Luke? You wanna come wi-"

"We both know I have no choice here, let's get this over with," Luke said, significantly more angry than before.

After all that, the rest of music class withered away, like a bad influencer. Nobody said much after it, most of us (me included) were all pretty shocked. Hell, even I was shocked that I had the audacity to say that. I hurt Luke a lot, what right did I have to say that to him?

After music ended, there was only one class left in the day and I was completely out of it. We were all working on some biology essay when Hailey tapped me on the shoulder and snapped me out of my thought train.

"Hey, you did the right thing, Jake," Hailey said

Even though I knew deep down that she was right, I still had a hard time believing it. I just yelled at Luke and calmly explained why he should forget about me hurting his chosen family and shut up. I couldn't justify that.

After school, the music club had a last-minute practice that I was invited to.

Hailey, who had gone to the principal's office just before we'd begun, had finally returned with a grim look on her face. 

"Where's Luke?" asked Milly

"He won't be joining us..." Hailey said, her expression even more pained.

"Why, what happened? Zander asked.

"He got suspended for his flip out in music class, it's a 5 day in school and they're barring him from competing."

Oh hell no.