four

"I can't believe you signed me up for this," Carlos grumbled at Kourtney

Kourtney huffed a sigh and replied, "We are supportive friends of you and your little hookups with... you know who. Why can't you be supportive of Nini?"

"I am supportive of Nini. I'm simply saying that I have a brain and the math ain't mathing," he said with a shrug as the three walked down the hall.

Nini spun around on her heel, surprising the two teens trailing behind her and almost causing them to bump into her. "I don't enjoy the implication that I don't have a brain, Carlos," she said honestly. "But either way, I need you two to wrap it up. This conversation needs to be over when we get to the car."

The pair eyed each other. "Yes ma'am!" Kourtney jeered.

Nini pushed the door open and held it for a second to let her friends out. "He drives a Range Rover?" Carlos asked as she led them to Ricky's car.

"Uh... yeah it's kind of crazy," she admitted just before she opened the passenger door to climb in.

"Hey," Ricky said with a smile. Nini leaned over and pecked his lips. "Hey, Kourtney. Hey, Carlos."

"Hi, Ricky!" Kourtney beamed at the boy.

"Icky," Carlos said to acknowledge him.

"Gonna let myself believe you're calling me that as a term of endearment," he joked. "Ready to go?"

Following a chorus of yeses, Ricky put the car in drive. Nini's friends watched her reach over and take his hand from the backseat and elbowed each other. "What'd you do while you waited for us?" she asked him softly.

The boy hummed in thought. "For a little while, I was with Mazzara for some math tutoring before the test. After that, I just sat in here and watched a movie."

"Do you need help with Mazzara's work, hun?" Nini asked.

Ricky looked in the rearview mirror at Nini's friends. "We can talk about it later," he told her.

"Don't worry, Ricky. Carlos is failing Mazzara's," Kourtney comforted.

Carlos sighed. "For the last time, Kourt. I'm gay! I don't do math."

Ricky laughed along with the other three before attempting to reach out to Carlos again. "Carlos, uh... Nini showed me some pictures of her costumes the other day. They look really awesome."

"I know," the boy responded. Nini turned and frowned at him. "Thank you, Icky."

"I really wanna come to see the show," he confessed.

"You should!" Kourtney said. "Nini's got a great part and she's really nervous."

Ricky rounded the corner and pulled the car up in front of Nini's house. "I keep telling her that she has no reason to be."