five

Just a couple of days after meeting Ricky for the first time, Carol found herself curled up on the couch with Nini during a movie. The two were sharing a blanket and bowl of popcorn. Nini was enjoying this moment with her mother as their relationship was more complicated when Dana was there.

After the movie ended, Carol turned to her daughter and said, "Listen, Nunu. Mama D and I were talking earlier today and we've decided what we're gonna do for Christmas this year. You'll be out of school on winter break, so we're gonna fly to Denver, go skiing with Mama a little, and then come back home a couple days before Christmas. That way you can see where Mama is spending half her time and we can take a nice little trip. We've agreed that you can bring a friend, too. How does that sound?"

"Um..." Nini hummed. "I didn't really think we were going to do anything this year. Ricky's birthday is on the 22nd and he's gonna be alone and I was hoping to spend the day with him."

The woman nodded slowly. "Well, Nu, it's important to spend time with your mother. I mean... if you would really rather bring him than Kourtney, I think we could talk about it. I don't know how on board Mama will be about this all. But I just need to ask, Nina. You can tell me the truth, you will not get in trouble, okay?"

"Okay," Nini said slowly, knowing exactly where this conversation was headed.

"Are you and Ricky sexually active?" she questioned. "I just want to be able to honestly vouch for you."

Nini shook her head quickly. "Oh, gosh no," she said. "We haven't even talked about that."

"I trust you and he seems very trustworthy, Nu. I just know that Mama D will have these questions. You'll be on the couch, I don't really think you'd do something so bold." The woman laughed.

"The couch?" Nini asked. "I mean I didn't expect that Mama D was living in like a fully furnished home or anything, but couches?"

Carol laughed harder and shook her head. "It's a sleeper sofa," she clarified when she calmed down. "But, it is a good one. I had her sleep on it all that first week to make sure it was a comfortable one for you. I'll talk to her about Ricky."

Nini opened her front door to let Ricky in

Nini opened her front door to let Ricky in. "Where's your car?" she asked Ricky as she closed it, noticing there was no car parked outside.

"Oh, it's around the corner," he explained. "In case your mom gets home and is upset that I'm over and it's late or something."

The couple made their way up the stairs and into Nini's room. Ricky wandered around it for a couple of minutes, inspecting polaroids of the girl with Kourtney and Carlos amongst other random memories. His sweater was strewn across the back of her desk chair. When he turned around, Nini was leaning against her headboard and smiling at him.

"Come here," she said as she patted the bed next to her. Ricky kicked off his shoes and climbed into the bed with her. Nini curled up against his side and wrapped her arms around him. "Are you hanging out with EJ for your birthday?"