Chapter 6. What family would do

"I've got your lab ready."

Albedo looked up, and I saw a single glint in his eyes. Finally, he must have thought, he can finally get to work. Albedo swallowed the final piece of his Teyvat fried egg and joined Alice by the sink, silently standing behind her to wait for the dishes to be done. But Alice wouldn't let him wait. Instead, she simply turned off the tap, swerving to face him with her usual smile. Albedo seemed surprised that he was somehow considered to be more important than the dishes, but since she was nice enough to spare him her time, he was determined to act fast.

"Thank you, Miss Alice," he said stiffly, "Please take this as compensation for all the trouble I've put you through."

Ah, a rush of Deja Vu rippled over me as I watched Albedo unhook a bag of coins from his pouch and push it into Alice's hand.

.

Silence ensued as the woman stared at the coins, and then at Albedo, thoroughly confused.

As Albedo braved through the bulging wide eyes pierced at him, he fidgeted with his fingers, a little unconfident of himself. Was it not enough? His eyes shook despite his stronghold.

"Have you been going around Mondstadt giving this to people in return for favours?" Alice asked, palms still open and unwilling to clutch down on the bag of coins.

Albedo thought carefully about his answer - not because it was a difficult question, but because he was wondering if it was a good idea to tell her the truth, especially since her face was oddly blank.

"...Is mora not the currency of exchange in Teyvat?"

Alice stared a while longer. Then, she snorted.

"HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!"

She threw her head back, then down as she wheezed in amusement. But Albedo did not find it funny one bit, brows arching in utter confusion.

"You-" she wheezed, pausing to catch her breath, "Wow, I don't even know where to begin!"

To that, Albedo pressed his lips together to restrain a frown,

"I...I've always seen my master repay favours with mora so..." he trailed off, unconfident and thinking, "Or perhaps it's not enough?"

"It's not necessary," she tells him, wiping a tear from the crook of her eye, "That Rhine...setting such bad examples. Just a 'thank you' would have sufficed."

Would it really though? His eyes seemed to question, but he kept silent.

"Well anyway, back to your lab," Alice began, chucking the bag of coins back at Albedo as she returned to the dishes, "I've pretty much got it secured for you, but you'll still have to attend a short interview with the Knights."

The sentence had many words that I did not understand, mainly interview and Knights. What did that have to do with the laboratory? However, I was much too hungry to care then, since Albedo had eaten his breakfast before I had a chance to go at it. So with my abdomen rumbling, I bumped his hand a few times.

"Why is there a need for an interview?" he asked, paying no attention to me.

"Because you'll be joining the knights of course!" She beamed, "Don't worry about the interview. With my recommendation, it's really just for formalities."

Hello!!! Helloo!!! I'm very hungry!!! I screamed through my core, bumping so hard that my head rang. Albedo nodded at Alice's remark and she continues,

"You'll be taking up the position of Chief Alchemist and Captain of the Investigation Team. "

Albedo swatted at the air, creating currents to blow me away.