Chapter 3. Waste of time

BANG BANG BANG

"Big Brother Albedoo! Mama says it's dinner time!"

BANG BANG BANG

"Big Brother Albedooo!!"

I was resting by the windowsill, ears exploding with every thunderous knock from outside. I glanced down at Albedo, who was lying on his new bed, eyes stiffly closed, still as a stone sculpture.

BANG BANG BANG

"Big brother Albedo, can Klee come in?"

For a split moment, I could've sworn I saw his brow twitch. But even as his intruder took silence as consent and clicked the door open, Albedo remained stubbornly "asleep".

The room was completely dark. Albedo had drawn the curtains to shut out the irritating noises of laughter and cheer. With the golden light just behind her, Klee seemed to hesitate about stepping into the abyss. But her large eyes spelt no fear, only curiosity. And so, she tiptoed forward, lowering her voice to a whisper,

"Big brother Albedo?"

Albedo remained still while I contemplated his abandonment and my betrayal. After all, there was a sweet aroma drifting through the crack of the door that was highly effective in tempting me to follow Klee.

Even if Albedo doesn't want dinner, I sure do.

Decided, I drifted over to Klee as a signal of my alliance.

Crystalflies have wings that glow. So perhaps seeing an illuminating blue amidst the dark shadows was comforting to the girl, even with all the bravery she had to offer. Her eyes turned crescent as she chuckled cutely when I approached.

"Hello bluey," she whispered, covering her mouth to muffle a small laugh.

Helloo I replied with a twirl. She seemed to enjoy it because her eyes sparkled, raising a hand to touch me. I let her, since she was so adorable that doing otherwise would surely make my heart bleed.

Klee did a small jump at the trail of fairy dust I sprinkled over, but something else quickly caught her eye - something else that glowed brighter. A golden star by the bed, imbued within the crook of the stranger's neck. Klee stared, eyes glistening with avid curiosity, and watching her lift up a finger, my heart panicked. I've always been mesmorised by the star on Albedo's neck, but there was something about its glow that warned me against even brushing close to it. And there was Klee, innocent and bold, finger lifted, already decided that she was definitely going to poke it.

As if it were a switch, a hand snatched up Klee's as teal eyes pried open, glowing with animosity. "What are you doing?" Albedo murmured, voice strangely gentle in contrast to his glare.

Klee retracted her hand at lightning speed and hid it behind her back. Albedo was not big, but as he sat up, the moonlight casted a towering shadow over the girl, expression completely bare.

However, Klee was either truly unfazed or she must be very good at hiding her fear, because she simply chirped with a smile,

"Big brother Albedo! Mama says it's dinner time!"

"Just Albedo," he corrects, gaze shifting away as he stood with a sigh.

Being forced to leave his room had Albedo in a dreadful mood. He did not show it of course, but I could tell. So I decided that using Klee as a ride would be preferable to Albedo for now. As I perched on the girl, the gesture alone was enough to make her skip with ecstasy.

"Big brother Albedo look!" she exclaimed, trotting over to his side with an excited smile,

"Bluey ribbon!"