Chapter 13. Always with you

Today, I regretted never appreciating the flowers around me more. I regretted never enjoying the winds enough, and I regretted never acknowledging, just a little earlier, the townspeople for their jovial, gay smiles.

Laying on Albedo's shoulder, I saw Klee tugging onto his coat, face downcast. And if not for the shaking teal, Albedo seemed blank as usual.

"Come on now, don't send me off with such long faces," Alice laughed, slinging a large bag over her shoulder, "You're gonna make me cry."

"Mamaa," Klee sucked in a roll of mukus, crumpling her face as she tried her best to hold in bubbling tears, "Come back soon."

With her usual smile, Alice bent over to squeeze her daughter tight, taking a long sniff of her hair once more. Then, she stood and looked at Albedo, who still blankly stared back.

"Take care of Klee for me, okay?"

Albedo did not reply, or even nod. With a final worried look, Alice turned to leave, retaining her motherly smile, though today, it seemed a little sad.

"Why do you leave her?"

The blurt was definitely by impulse, but Albedo looked like he absolutely needed to know. He couldn't quite understand. If she (Rhine) truly loved Klee (him), then why did she choose to leave them behind?

Alice regarded him for a bit, then reached out to cup his cheek,

"I will come back for Klee. And you, Rhine will come back for you," she retrieved her hand, "So until then, live well, be happy. That will be our greatest joy."

Albedo pressed his lips together, looking to the floor like he was dissatisfied with her answer. Yet, as cruel as it was, Alice had to go. So with a last crescent-eyed smile, the door shut close, chasing out all morning light.

Albedo peered down at Klee, unsettled by her uncharacteristic silence. And oh my core, her eyes drooped with avid grief, glossed over with fat rolls of tears. Yet, her lower lip was tightly bit with colossal effort to keep any water from falling.

Albedo looked away to think for a bit. He was terrible at dealing with Klee whenever she cried - he always seemed to say the wrong things, so he figured he should prevent her tantrum from unfolding as much as he could.

"Would you like to go on a field trip with me? I have equipment I need to pick up from Dragonspine."

Klee glanced up, watery eyes not looking all too enthusiastic about Dragonspine, but she still offered a tiny nod.

.

On our way up the snowy path, I watched crystalflies twirl about in their lonesome dance, tired.

Chk chk chk chk their boots went, crunching against the fresh-fallen snow. The sky was cloudy grey, and their walk was oddly wordless. Regardless, I was quite alright with the silence.

The higher up we went, the heavier the footsteps of my ride became. Lugging behind him was Klee, increasingly reluctant to scale the mountain with her brother. She reached out to tug his coat, dragging him back until he finally turned to her. Those big amber eyes were bleak, looking down in discouragement.

"What's wrong? Are you tired?" Albedo asked, his attempt to warm his usually mechanic voice was noted by me, but unfortunately unnoticed by the girl.

"Klee doesn't want to go up," she admitted, not daring to look up, "Bad things happen when big brother Albedo goes up."

Albedo swallowed, guilt crawling over him at the reminder. He scrunched his brows - that was his thinking face, he had to be careful with his words with the sad girl.