Chapter 5

I blinked up at him. (He's joking, right?) I felt my jaw open slightly at that revelation, and I felt myself freeze in fear that I was sure wasn't there anymore. (Crap!)

The Commander saw my slightly shocked face and thought that I looked cute. As soon as he thought that, he mentally shook his head. (That's crazy! I don't think this female is cute). The Commander thought vehemently. The Commander was so lost in his thoughts that he missed the looks that the female was sending him, but he caught the sigh that fell from her mouth.

I was looking at the Commander in disbelief, after my shock had worn off, and I had discovered that the Commander was lost in thought. You couldn't see it in his face, but if you've known him for as long as I have, then you'd know to look into his eyes. 'The eyes are windows to the soul' after all. The Commander's eyes were swirling in shock, disbelief, anger, and a slight softness that I have not known the Commander to show. I couldn't get my thoughts around the confusion that had settled in me, so I did the next best thing - I sighed. I sighed to relieve myself of the confusion that I was feeling, and pushed those thoughts to the back of my mind, and focus more on the task at hand.

"What's got you sighing like a love - struck girl, soldier?" The Commander's voice wafted over my senses like ice water, and I snapped back as if he had.

"Nothing that you should concern yourself . . . . Sir," I hastily replied back. I bit back the snarky retort and I knew that the Commander was just itching to assault me back, verbally at least.

"Nothing? Are you sure?"

"Yes, I'm sure . . . . Sir."

"Then you can finish answering my question from before. 'What experiments' ", The Commander was adamant on the subject. I couldn't deny him, but I knew that I had to.

"My apologies, sir, but I cannot say anything more at this time. I have already said too much as is, and I do not want to jeopardize my mission all because you are curious." I sighed when I saw that he was about to argue his defense, but I cut him off from saying something more. "No, sir, I'm not being disrespectful to you, but these are the King's orders. I know that I've made you curious, but it really is not my place to tell you if you don't already know".

The Commander huffed in annoyance that the soldier had denied him in answering his questions, even if on the King's order's.

I could feel the anger and annoyance that radiated off him in waves, the anger at being denied in his eyes, and the scowl on his face made me want to drop down and beg for his forgiveness. (He made us do this in training because he said that it shows that you were truly in repent, or something like that). I know that no one, besides the King and his guards, could deny him an answer. I, a-now-demoted-soldier, have done just that, and I suddenly wanted to take it back because I've seen when the Commander gets angry and I've known what he does to punish his subordinates who had made him very angry, and let me tell you, of the ones that had never got away with more than a few broken bones, but what really did you in was the mental assault that, almost, made you insane by the end of it. It was that bad. Made the Joker from Batman appear tame and sane.

"Is that so?" The Commander said in an extremely slow and torturous way.

"Yes, Sir." No hesitation. Hesitation meant pain. I was already in pain, and I didn't need anymore.

The Commander was enjoying the torturous feeling that radiated off the soldier in question, and he relished in her rebelling nature that he knew was still there. A strong nature like that is always a nice change of pace, and since she demoted herself (even if it's in name only), she has returned to her old regiment, which means that she is back in my tender care and services.