Visions

"Have you found anything on Cecily's parents?" Esme asked, walking into Carlisle's study.

He looked up from his laptop and smiled at her as she walked up behind him, placing a hand on his shoulder. It had been about a month since Cecily mentioned her mother's name and she had yet to offer up any more information.

"Just this," Carlisle said, turning the laptop towards her. It was an old newspaper article about a car wreck. "Aileen and Callum Stewart. Car accident. Cecily was in the backseat but survived."

"God," Esme said, her heart breaking for the young woman.

"She became a ward of the state after that. And I can't find anything more until she started writing," he said with a sigh.

"It's so horrible," Esme said, frowning as she read through the article. "Seems they were professors..."

"At NYU," Carlisle added. "Guess now we know why she went there."

Esme read through the article quickly, then pondered over the information before speaking again.

"I don't think we should look into it more," she said. Carlisle frowned, looking up at her.

"Why's that?" he asked.

"We should let her tell us in her own time," Esme said. "She needs to know that she can trust us."

"Very well," Carlisle said, closing the article. "She does seem to be adjusting well. I think we could venture the idea of seeing how well she does around humans in a few months."

"I do as well. She won't let herself lose control," Esme replied. "She cares too deeply about others to let herself do something like that. Even if she likes to show a hard exterior." She smiled down at Carlisle. "She'll be fine. You did the right thing by changing her."

"I think so as well..."

Cecily stared at the cards in her hands and then glanced up at Rosalie and Emmett sitting across from her

Cecily stared at the cards in her hands and then glanced up at Rosalie and Emmett sitting across from her. It seemed Emmett was looking for more ways to win his money back and had insisted on teaching her poker. She had picked it up quickly, much to his chagrin. Though the rest of the family – save Edward – seemed to enjoy watching them. Edward wasn't allowed to play for obvious reasons.

Emmett's reign as the best poker player in the house was coming to an end, as far as she was concerned.

"You sure about that?" she asked, raising an eyebrow and Emmett started sliding chips towards the center of the table.

Her face was bland, causing him to stop and stare at her. His resolve seemed to waver, though he quickly brushed it off.

"Yea," he said, continuing the movement.

"Your money," Cecily said with a sigh as she looked back down at her cards and then proceeded to slide more of her own chips into the center. Emmett frowned at her as Rosalie chuckled.