Discovery

"Good morning, Cecily," Demetri said brightly as she came down the stairs.

She came to an abrupt stop, not expecting to see this scenario. He was seated on the couch, watching another basketball game on TV with Emmett. Seemingly enjoying himself.

Cecily had spent a few hours locked in the war room with Alice and Rosalie and had gotten so caught she almost - almost - forgot that Demetri was there. She had told the two women it was because she didn't want to let his visit distract them from the case, but part of it was because she needed a break from him, even though it had only been about a day since he arrived.

Yes, he had been polite. Courteous. Gave her space. But it didn't change the fact that Demetri was there. Even though they were in close quarters, Cecily was still finding ways to avoid him.

"Emmett was just explaining more about basketball to me," the tracker continued, appearing almost childlike in his excitement to learn the game.

"Huh?" Cecily replied.

"Figured if this is what you enjoy doing, then I should learn about it as well," Demetri responded matter-of-factly, turning his attention back to the TV.

Cecily fixed Emmett in a stern glare. He just shrugged and winked at her. Rolling her eyes, Cecily kept walking, finding Esme and Bella in the kitchen, making up breakfast for Nessie.

"Where's Renesmee?" she asked.

"Outside with Jacob," Bella said. "She's eager for your lesson today. What did you have planned?"

"We're working on news features," Cecily replied, leaning against the counter.

"I'm surprised you haven't taken her up to the war room yet," Esme said with a chuckle.

"I don't want to scare the poor girl," Cecily replied.

"Sure Edward wouldn't mind if you did," Bella commented.

"She's not ready for that much intensity," Cecily said, smiling slightly.

"So... how are things with Demetri?" Esme asked.

Cecily looked back towards the living room, hearing Emmett explaining walking as Demetri asked more questions.

"How do you think?" she asked dryly, turning to look back at Esme and Bella.

"Well... he seems very polite," Esme said. "And he seems very interested in you."

Cecily just rolled her eyes and huffed.

"He's not so bad," Bella said. Cecily stared at her.

"Traitor," she muttered.

"Who's a traitor?" Demetri asked, suddenly at her side.

Cecily jumped and glared at him - not because she didn't sense him coming, but because of the thrill that rushed through her body at his nearness. She cursed under breath as she looked away. Demetri only smiled, probably picking up on why she reacted that way. He seemed to have a knack for knowing what Cecily was thinking or feeling, though she wasn't about to let him know that.

"Again... traitor?"

"Nothing," Cecily said, turning and walking away. "I'm going to get Nessie so we can start on our lesson."

Before anyone could respond, she stepped outside, shutting the door behind her.

"She'll come around," Esme said softly as Demetri turned to look back at her. "She's spent a long time on her own. It took her months to open up to us." He nodded. "Just give her some time."