The Turning

Grunting, the woman managed to somehow unlatch the seat belt, falling into the roof of the car with a scream of pain. She was disoriented. She didn't know what was going on. All she knew was that she needed to get out of the car and away in case they - whoever they were - came for her.

Slowly, she crawled across jumbled metal and crushed glass towards the gaping hole that used to be a window. Whimpering in pain, she slowly made it there and somehow pulled herself out. She was sure she had several broken bones. Maybe punctured a lung. She would worry about that later. She just needed to get away from the crash and make sure whoever was after her didn't get their hands on what was in the leather satchel still slung around her.

She tried to bite back a scream as her leg hit something, causing pain to shoot up it. But she didn't stop crawling. Through sheer willpower alone, she managed to pull herself through the trees and into a clearing. There, exhaustion and pain finally overcame her. She rolled over and looked up to the sky full of stars, gasping. It was becoming harder to breathe and every time she took a breath, there was a gurgling sound in her chest.

This was it. This is how she died. Tears began to mix with blood and dirt on her face as she continued staring. The stars seemed to become larger as the edges of her vision started going black.

Her eyes fluttered closed. All she wanted was the pain to stop.

 All she wanted was the pain to stop

A breeze. The smell of trees. Two voices.

"We should have just left her there."

"Look at her! We can't do nothing! She'll die!"

"People die all the time!"

"But... look at her! Those people were after her! We can't just leave her to die in the forest!"

"Why do you have to have such a bleeding heart?"

"Let's at least take her to Carlisle and see what he says."

"He's going to say no and make you put her back."

"No, he's not. Trust me."

Carlisle immediately set about assessing the young woman's injuries as soon as Jasper and Alice brought her into the home, a worried look in Alice's eyes