Family

"What do you mean, Doctor?" Christiana asked with a frown.

"Look kid, on the one hand, you have a one hundred percent survival chance." Ito-san began. "On the other hand, you have a mere twenty-five percent chance. Not only that, but even if she does survive, she will have to use prosthetics for the rest of her life."

"From what I understand, she is a very athletic girl. Would you sentence her to a wheelchair barely able to move from one room to another and trying to control the chair with her single remaining hand? Because that is what will happen if she doesn't take well to the prosthetics. And some patients don't," Ito-san explained.

"But I am not sure that Haruhi-nee would want to become a vampire," Christiana stammered.

"Then ask her if she would mind," Ito-san pressed.

Christiana looked around the room at her companions. Both Miss Harrison and Mr. Jones would not meet her eyes.

"So it is true then," Christiana asked Miss Harrison.

"Yes, it is true," Miss Harrison admitted, finally meeting Christiana's eyes with her own. "Remember that you are not only the next of kin, but you also hold her power of attorney. It is all up to you as to how to proceed."

"I will ask Haruhi-nee the next time she wakes up," Christiana stated. "When is her next treatment?"

"We can do it right now," Miss Harrison replied.

---

"So, Haruhi-nee, those are the facts about the blood drinking strangers. What do you think about becoming one?" Christiana asked.

"I think it would be interesting," Haruhi-nee answered. "However, you have my power of attorney, so this is a decision that you have to make."

"I was hoping to get some guidance from you since it involves your survival," Christiana retorted.

"Do what you want. I can hardly say that I am of sound mind right now, so I can't make that decision for you."

"You are as stubborn as a mule," came Christiana's response.

"You know it." Haruhi-nee said, "I'm tired and just want to sleep awhile."

At this point, Ito-san gave Haruhi-nee her injection.

---

"Well, that was a waste of time," Christiana commented as she sat down in the waiting room.

"No, it wasn't," Miss Harrison said. "Now we know she isn't against becoming a vampire."

"That is true."

"Does that mean that you will seriously consider that option now?" Miss Harrison inquired.

"Yes."

"Then what is your decision?"

"Give me a while to think about it. We have ten days before we have to decide."

"I will give you a little time to decide, then."

"Thank you."

---

A few days later, just after one of Haruhi-nee's "treatments", Christiana and Miss Harrison were sitting in the waiting room yet again.

"Look, Christiana, you have to decide one way or another," Miss Harrison said.

"I know."

"Why are you so resistant to the idea of Haruhi becoming a vampire?"

"It's because I don't want to be all alone during the day. If Haruhi-nee becomes a vampire, then she will be asleep all Mainday."