seven

prompt: on their schools paris trip, nick is feeling particularly anxious about his sick dog, (she doesn't die i would never do that to you) but he doesn't want to worry charlie. (short, i'm sorry!)

charlie
nick was acting differently tonight, his eyes looked sore from a sleepless night, and he just doesn't seem like himself. his usual, charming and sweet golden-retriever boy act wasn't on this evening, his movements were more slow and contained. his hair messy and not taken care of, his eyes rimmed with red. his lips forming into an unusual frown at some points, and i didn't like it.

"nick? come here for a sec." i asked him. he nodded and followed me, i didn't even know what i was going to say, but i didn't want him to think i didn't notice or didn't care. i think of what geoff would say, and that gives me a surge of confidence.

we step onto the balcony, aled is on the other side but he's far enough away that he won't be disturbed by us.

"nick?" i ask, he got distracted. his eyes are stuck to the floor, shadows cover his face in a worrying demeanour. i don't like this at all.

"nick? are you okay?" i ask once again, and this time his eyes raise to meet mine. they're glassed over with water, he looks like he's drowning. my poor boy.

"nick, did something happen?" i force my mouth to say again, i don't know what he wants me to do. if he wants me to shut up, i will, but he hasn't told me to, so i haven't.

"n-nellie." he blurts, in a timid, tired, sad little voice that i can hardly recognise. nick isn't ever sad or scared, which i admire. but i also worry that he is but he just doesn't show anyone. i hope he gets to the point he can show me without thinking twice about it.

"what happened to nellie, nick?" i prod again.

"she- she's sick. i-i'm sorry for not telling you, it's just scary." he mutters so fast i can hardly understand him.

but i do. i understand him completely.

"it's okay, nicky, she'll be okay." i say, his hands meet my waist and i'm kissing his cheek. my hands fly to his hair, gently soothing his scalp, rubbing the back of his neck. he grips me tighter, his head burying further into the crook of my neck. i kiss his cheek, his jaw, his chin and wherever else i can reach.

"let's go back to our room, tao and aled are staying for tara's sleepover. we can do whatever you want." i offer him.

"whatever i want?" he chuckles, wiggling his eyebrows at me.

"gross, nick, you're disgusting."

"you're disgusting too."