Chapter 15

Her fingers danced over the black and white keys, softly playing a melody while the other singer hummed over it. His voice was a bit raspy from their late night of writing, but still euphonious nonetheless.

The two had been in the studio for the past few hours writing songs for Shawn's new album. Some had come together naturally, the two being well versed in acoustic guitar-filled ballads; but others had been more of a challenge due to Shawn's desire to create a soundscape reminiscent of his own listening experience as a whole.

"Can you hand me my guitar from over there?" Shawn pointed to his favorite Martin hanging on a hook near the door.

Y/n stood, grabbing the stringed instrument and handing it to the man. Shawn adjusted the capo, running his fingers down the strings as he sounded out the melodic line that the other singer had been playing on the baby grand.

"It sounds like a love song." Y/n commented and sat back down in front of the keys. She hummed along to Shawn's playing, spitting out random words until one phrase caught her attention.

"Fallin' all in you." She sang out, hitting a 'G' chord on the piano and letting the sound ring out.

Shawn nodded towards her with a smile, encouraging her to keep going with that idea as her fingers continued to run lightly over the keys trying their best to follow the man's fingerpicking.

I'm thinkin'
Baby you
Are bringing out a different kind of me
There's no safety net that's underneath
I'm free
Fallin' all in you

Shawn stopped playing, deep in thought as he repeated the lyrics that Y/n had just sang.

"Can we try maybe adding in some electric guitar? And some slaps in between each chord for more of a groove? Think 'Ed Sheeran'." He suggested, replaying the chords and humming along to demonstrate exactly what he meant.

The singer tapped her chin as she contemplated what Shawn had said, heading towards the electric guitars and choosing one to plug in. She made a circular motion with her finger, indicating that she wanted Shawn to keep playing as she tried working out something.

Y/n closed her eyes, allowing the guitar to fill her ears as she sounded out different notes that could accompany the lead line. The pair played for another few minutes, stitching together the instrumental before stopping for a small break so that Shawn could use the restroom.

The singer stayed behind, trying to come up with more lyrics in the meantime while she waited. As she strummed, her mind wandered back to the brunette that never really seemed to fully leave. She thought about how she felt when she was around Camila and how easy it had been to fall in love with the woman.

She had always thought that love was supposed to be overwhelming. Souls came crashing together, burning up every desire in one another's bodies, and completely overtaking the mind. It created a future with the shattered pieces; remnants of individuality stitched together to form a beautiful mosaic.

Instead, she'd come to realize that love was really a slow burn. The kind that crept up on you and burrowed it's way into your heart without your knowledge. The feelings that had once defined love to her were now simply just a warning that her heart belonged solely to Camila. Perhaps it was this revelation that inspired the next set of lyrics that poured from her mouth as she sat alone in the dimly lit studio.

Ooh, you know I've been alone for quite awhile
Haven't I?
I thought I knew it all
Found love but I was wrong
More times than enough
But since you came along

The words molded together on her tongue as she sang them out quietly; the artist stopping to write them down in her lyrics book for Shawn to read. She lifted the instrument up once more and played what the two had come up with earlier.