5

21st March (last year, flashback, a beginning of friendship)

Seokjin turns on his stomach and holds the pen again, continuing to write on the worksheet that's attached to his clipboard. It was a history homework he was supposed to do three days ago and now he was trying to hurry and finish it up the night before the deadline.

"..do you?"

"I'm sorry, what did you say?" Seokjin increases the volume of his phone and adjusts his headphones.

"Do you need help with the worksheet?"

"You don't even have history as your subject. How will you help me?"

"With the way you're sighing every few seconds, I am sure I will do better than you". Jungkook's voice of pride comes from the other end of the phone.

It's still a new voice that Seokjin's getting used to.

Seokjin fakes an offended gasp. "How dare you??"

They had just started talking over call since two days ago. Their friendship was new, still strange to touch but once you did, it felt good. It was easy.

Both of them had realised how different they were from each other within two meetings itself but instead of ruining a potential friendship, it only helped to fuel the interest in each other, to get to know each other more.

Jungkook had started to shed his tough cover, something that helped Seokjin relax. He wondered why people pretended to be tough rocks when actually they were melting marshmallows.

"So, what are you doing?" Seokjin asks, pausing in completing his worksheet, focusing on the call instead.

"Well...unlike someone, all my homework is completed...",

"Shut up...".

".... I was just watching some random YouTube videos and tiktok compilations. Am I the only one who likes watching true crime stuff? Even the podcasts are quite good".

Though Seokjin knows Jungkook can't see him, he exaggeratedly shivers to show his distaste. "Absolutely not. I once watched this really creepy compilation of TikTok's and my dream that night hadn't been....that great".

"Your taste is just bad". Jungkook says with finality.

"You haven't tasted me".

Seokjin puts a hand over his mouth, scared that he creeped out the other.

A chuckle comes over the line. "Are you flirting with me Seokjin?"

"No!"

Jungkook sighs. "Ah, what a pity. I'll die a loner".

"I am pretty sure you have enough people who flirt with you". Seokjin turns on his back and thinks about the crowd of people always surrounding Jungkook and laughing at whatever he did. It all was so effortless for him.

"What are you talking about? No one flirts with me, I am a complete loner". Jungkook says with a persuasive tone.

"Liar".

A sigh. "Okay, fine. People flirt with me. But I am still a loner. I'll count on my fingers- 5 people. That's the only amount of actual friends I have".

"Who are these oh so lucky 5 people?"

"The usual. Hobi, Namjoon, Jimin-",

"Jimin? Isn't he older than us though? One year? Shouldn't we call him hyung? I haven't met him, I don't really know".

Jungkook laughs. "Calling him hyung? Absolutely not! He is just like us, you'll like him, everyone does".

"Ah I see". Seokjin lets out. "The rest two?"

"Oh, Yoongi and you". Jungkook quickly says.

"Me?"

"Yes Seokjin, you".

"Oh".

"What, are you blushing? Aw. Butterflies in your heart?" The other teases through the call.

"Shut up, Jungkook".

"Goodnight Seokjin".

| love beyond words by KYUHYUN - |

7th July (flashback, past, the beginning of a new chapter)

"I am not touching that tree".

"Come on, Jin!" Jungkook whines. "It will be fun".

"What, drawing something on a tree? Why? Let's draw on paper..or a canvas...or on our hands, see my hands!" Seokjin stretches out his hands, rolling up his sleeves.

"But I want to carve something on this tree. As a mark of our love, right in this city, so that no matter where we go....the mark of our love will stay". Jungkook awkwardly looks down.

Seokjin blinks away his disbelief. "Are you the same Jungkook I know? When did you start wanting to do romantic things?"

Jungkook looks up with a scowl, a tongue poking his cheek from the inside and Seokjin knows he is serious.

He sighs. "Fine, okay. Let's carve something. With a knife. On a tree. So lovely". Seokjin says and takes the pocket knife from Jungkook's hands. "Mister Jeon, what will be the mark of our love, as you so romantically put it?"

Seokjin wouldn't have guessed Jungkook to be like this, he would have probably outright laughed if someone had told him Jungkook would do this a few months ago.

It had been three months that the two had started dating and Seokjin was getting to know more about Jungkook each day and treasuring away all the details of him in the corner of his heart. Details that he prayed he would always remember, if one day Jungkook leaves- Seokjin knows he is supposed to think positive, he knows, but there are only so many thoughts he can control- if he leaves one day, Seokjin would always have the memories, the details.

"A butterfly". Jungkook says with a sure tone. "A butterfly would mark our love".

"Why a butterfly?" Seokjin asks.

"Be quiet. Draw half a wing and I'll draw the other half. Hurry up".

He decides to save more inquiring for later.

"Isn't this..I don't know, violation of property?"

Jungkook scratches the back of his head.

"Um. Why don't you start carving...and I'll keep watch?"

"Jungkook!" Seokjin exclaims. "If I end up in jail because of you-".

"You won't, carve already Seokjin!"

Fifteen minutes after, there is a butterfly carved on what used to be a simple tree.

And looking at it with two big smiles, young eyes and beating hearts are two lovers who used to be just two simple boys.

Their hands are clasped.

The butterfly flaps on the tree.

.....

(present)

Seokjin now wishes he didn't have all those details and memories etched into his heart. That they were easier to erase.

Because all they did now were haunt his dreams and steal his sleep and make him see another way things could have ended but didn't and knowing that thinking about it won't help but he couldn't stop thinking about it either.

Seokjin closes his eyes and hopes that tonight he doesn't dream of Jungkook again.

..................

(to readers) note!

If the timeline skips and flashback dates confuse you at any point, please feel free to drop a comment and I'll clarify the time around that scene for you.

thank you for reading !