6

(present)

It's almost after 6 PM when Jungkook opens the door to his house. He hadn't really wanted to take an extra elective/ after school club, but apparently these extracurricular things were considered and could be added in your portfolio and his father suggested for him to try out one. He wanted to take up the singing club but his father found that as pointless and a waste of time- suggested keeping it as a way to pass time when bored- so he chose technical design.

It wasn't as if this was difficult, but most of the things Jungkook did and felt nowadays were because he thought he needed to and not because he wanted to or enjoyed doing so.

He trudges up the stairs and opens the door to his bedroom that he shares with his one year younger brother, Soobin.

Soobin is on his own side of the room, sitting at his desk.

"What are you upto?" Jungkook asks as he puts down his bag and takes off his shirt and lies down on the bed with his upper body bare, letting the coolness of the air conditioning touch his skin and take away his tiredness. He couldn't lie down for much though- he still had to study and then help his mother in making dinner.

"Studying". Soobin replies and then turns towards him, his glasses sitting on the bridge of his nose, threatening to fall- reminding Jungkook of Seokjin and how he would always push the glasses back up with a flip of his hand in an exaggeratedly fancy manner. "Mom's gonna kill you if she sees you on the bed like that. At least take a shower, hyung".

"Will do, let me lie down for a minute". Jungkook closes his eyes and puts up his arms, his hands behind his head.

"Was there an exam today?"

"Nope. But we did get the answer sheet of a class test done the previous week, psychology".

"How did it go? Full marks as usual?"

Jungkook purses his lips, the disappointment ebbing it's way back into his heart. "No...16.5".

Soobin raises his eyebrows slightly then nods. "That...wasn't expected. You used to score full marks when you studied with Seokjin hyung. Why don't you study with him anymore?"

Shaking his head, Jungkook gets up from the bed. He knows why they don't study together anymore, it was his fault for losing his temper. He could put his pride aside now and apologise but Jungkook's ego had always been one of his flaws. "I'll just work harder".

He moves towards Soobin and ruffles his brother's hair. "Where's Taehyun?"

"Mister Potential Genius is out playing baseball". Soobin says and spins his chair back towards the desk.

Jungkook chuckles and moves to take a shower.

....

Fifteen minutes later, with a towel around his shoulder and hair still wet- droplets of water falling once in a while on Jungkook's blue t shirt- he walks down the stairs to greet his mother.

Their house is lined with framed photographs- of his father meeting famous people while away for work, (he was an economics professor but he also wrote papers and did research and many of his works were often found in various high school and university textbooks), there are certificates lined up too and awards- of Mr Jeon of course and even some of Mrs Jeon- her participation in various competitions (her habit of trying out everything is probably where Jungkook got his zeal to be good at everything from). There were also many belonging to the three Jeon children- of participation and winning of quizzes and Olympiads, spelling bees and math competitions and science fairs.

Jungkook had always been taught to be the best, to never stop at what he already has and to keep working and striving for more. He always thought this was the best ideal.

But striving to be the best was starting to take a toll on him.

Sometimes, he wished he could stop.

He finds his mother in the living room, sketching something on a drawing pad while sitting on the sofa.

"Mom!" He jumps ahead and hugs his mother from the back, taking her by surprise.

His mother's face goes wide for a second and then breaks into a warm smile as she caresses her son's face, putting the drawing aside. "Ah, you're back from school. How was it? Had fun?"

Her face was much like Taehyun's, Soobin and Jungkook had gone after their father- both personality wise and look wise.

While Soobin and Jungkook followed their father's ideals, Taehyun was more laid back. However, he managed to do better than Soobin anyways- bringing upon quarrels between the two youngest often. The both looked up to Jungkook, one of the reasons why Jungkook continued to work towards his best.

(But when would the best come?)

"School is made for studies, not for fun", Jugkook imitates his father's voice making his mother laugh. "It was alright mom, just tiring as usual".

Mrs Jeon drags Jungkook to sit next to her and looks at him concerned. "Tell me honestly, are you getting too stressed from school? Are the extra activities tiring you too much?"

"It's okay mom". Jungkook says as he is supposed to. "It's fine, it will be good for my college".

It wasn't as if he barely had time for himself. He did...in fact, statistically he would have quite a lot of free time...he just chose to study or work instead then during most days.

Mrs Jeon sighs. "You and your father, what to do with you both?"

Jungkook smiles and stands up. "Nothing! Well. Hmm...maybe cook pork belly for dinner?" He puts on a pleading face.

His mother looks at him exasperatedly but then nods with a smile. "Fine, tomorrow I will. Today's dinner is already decided. Now, you go out for a walk or something, it's been a while since any of your friends came over- why don't you call Seokjin-",

"Cant do, mom. Got to study, there might be a quiz in chemistry class tomorrow. Or a test. Have to prepare. And yeah, I'll probably text them later, ah...I guess Jimin must be online right now". He starts walking up the stairs to get to his room quickly and avoid his mother bringing up his best friend again. Best friend, Jungkook repeats to himself. "See you!"

He closes the door of his room shut.

Soobin looks back up from his desk and then continues studying.

Picking up her drawing again, Mrs Jeon wonders- "Where did this Jimin come from? I had mentioned Seokjin...".