Human Error (Prologue)

The purpose of this book was originally purely to properly analyze and review Human Error, the fourth in the series written by the user Shememmy. I decided to open it up to other fanfiction as well, but, if you are a Sherlock fan, I would recommend reading the series.

Now, for the actual review.

Human Error - Prologue

Summary:

Readers are introduced to the fourth installment through the third point of view. This is intriguing, seeing as, beforehand we had mostly only ever seen first perspective and readers are allowed to view Shem's style in third.

Present tense is consistent.

Readers are faced by the dreary scene of Emily, one of the OCs (original characters) of the story.

She is outside, in the sleet during the dead of night. It is further elaborated that Emily has become a prostitute and an alcoholic after Sherlock, Millie, and John kicked her out of the famous detective's flat — as well as their lives. (See The Art of Corruption, Chapter 67 - Don't Come Back for reference point.)

Emily recollects the route that took her here... the loss of her own housing, alcoholism, a night with Carver (the owner of the brothel Emily is now staying in), her temper, and the loss of money.

She tries to convince herself that if she continues to "get a few more clients," this will be her last night.

After it covers her bitter loathing toward her former friends, she climbs into a client's vehicle. This ends the prologue.

My interpretation:

Emily has become desperate — not only to forget James Moriarty, but to find funding and a place to stay. She has fallen into prostitution, and one could look at her as a victim, but I don't choose to view her in that light.

Emily is fueled by her own resentment. She clings to the human hope that things will get better, but she also saves the idea that this all is not her fault. She blames Sherlock, John, Mary, and Millie for her ending up as a prostitute.

In a great many ways, it is a result of their disowning her.

Emily has always been a fiery character who is quick to anger and slow to forgiveness — part of which makes her an enjoyable (although sometimes frustrating) character. She's a flawed character that you can route for.

Seeing Emily in this predicament leaves readers knowing that they are in for quite an exciting ride in Human Error. The opening leaves enough unanswered questions, and, best of all, it piques the readers' interest. "What's going to happen next?"

Quotes:

"One more night, she repeats to herself. A few more clients."

"A human product."

"What she wouldn't give to watch them burn."

Character Analysis:

Emily is furious. Emily doesn't want to be here, in this life, smoking this cigarette and entirely reliant on alcohol to save her from her personal nightmare in a Westwood suit. She is blaming her lost friends for this — but she also doubts herself.

Her solidity on who is guilty is shaken.

...

She also doesn't want to be selling herself to others for their own pleasure, paid pitifully for an act that most would say can't be sold.

And for the first time, we see Emily afraid. Not just angry, but afraid for her life and taking a punch for once.

We know Emily as the one who is reactionary, emotive to a fault. She is fire while Jim is ice, so the fact she refused to hit back proves just how much she has changed to end up here, on the street corner, standing in a chilly rainstorm, selling her body for her own financial survival.

It is no surprise to find Emily's firm foundation cracked, and her thirst for revenge blazing underneath the surface.

The Emily everyone readers knew and loved is not quite the same woman they knew her as.

She is the woman in red.

General Description:

The description was excellent — as the beginning to a new story, it builds up the superb suspense with a vocabulary I am yet to see as comparable.

I would award it a ten out of ten.

Imagery:

The imagery was exceptional, as always. I could practically feel the rain hammering down on myself while reading.

I could see the car as it gradually came to idle beside Emily — and Emily.

I could imagine her standing before me in the drowsy London night, swathed in scarlet.

I can claim to be a witness the death of the pink girl with the green eyes.

I can see the vehicle shaking and the gore on the interior of it as she abandoned her dead client there.

The imagery in this is perfect.

Keep up the good work, Shem.

Tone and Mood:

I selected "Don't You Dare Forget The Sun" by Get Scared as a song to that, in my opinion fits the mood.

It is dark, scary, and dreary. Emily is angry, and Shem uses the tone of the character to establish it. The formidable atmosphere is evident, and it resonates through the words and the style of the writing.

Get Scared is correct. Sit down, everyone, Human Error is going to be one fun piece of hell.

...

I hope you enjoyed this first review, this is more of a trial review. So, if you have any advice or anything to point out, it is welcome.

Link to Human Error:

http://www.wattpad.com/87098846-human-error-~-a-bbc-sherlock-fanfiction-book-iv/page/2

Link to Games, Guns, and Mutual Appreciation:

http://www.wattpad.com/story/11448660-guns-games-and-mutual-appreciation-~-a-bbc

Happy Tuesday, everyone.

See you Thursday.