Human Error: Chapter III - Virtue

Summary:

From the perspective of Millie, first person. It is in present tense.

...

Millie is organizing instinctively when a piece of paper is shoved through the mailbox on a Friday afternoon. Mrs Hudson fetches the mail and delivers it to their personal box. Millie then unveils the fact the package was delivered by hand. She opens it, and, to her ultimate shock, ends up scattering photographs of herself onto the floor.

All the pictures are of her in the years she was addicted to cocaine when she was younger. She decides to hide the pictures from Sherlock, but not without skimming through the images first.

She determines someone must have been stalking her.

On the backs of each picture is the word "virtue." When Sherlock finds her, she bluffs about sifting through the images. Sherlock and she go to a homicide scene, where Anderson flirts with Millie briefly before they enter the actual building.

A gambling drug addict was brutally murdered in his own home, and there was an untraceable call.

At the end of the chapter, Millie points out that, on a card joined by a single iris flower, in the same handwriting that was on her pictures, was the word: "virtue."

My Interpretation:

At the beginning of the chapter, we see Millie striving for absolute cleanliness. She is organizing, dusting, and straightening up everything. This is either a result of OCD, or just an activity that soothes her cravings that she still gets from time to time. She needs a simple distraction and something to occupy her hands.

Millie has always been intuitive and curious, so it's understandable that she opens the package of photos.

It's obvious that she is repulsed and ashamed of what she finds there — image after image of her, high on cocaine.

When confronted by Sherlock, she fibs to preserve his respect and his views of her.

Sherlock and Millie are excited about the homicide most likely because they haven't had any recently.

When they meet Anderson, he displays his true level of idiocy and perversion to Millie, therefore aggravating Sherlock.

Once in the building, Sherlock uses his deducting skills to figure out that the victim was a bad gambler and addicted to cocaine.

The end of the chapter with the "virtue" note is a suspense device — well used, if you ask me. And it offers up questions for the readers. Is the murderer the same person who stalked Millie? And why do they have pictures of Millie in the first place?

Quotes:

"'More specifically, a picture of me featuring content that could, if found in the wrong hands, result in my immediate imprisonment.'" (Around line 30, paragraph 14, page 1 web version.)

"'"It's only nine o'clock. If John were here, he'd tell you no homicide before breakfast."'" (Around line 81, paragraph 35, page 2 web version.)

"'"I can't work with that man."'" (Around line 104, paragraph 50, page 3 web version.)

Character Analysis:

Sherlock is the same as usual, being more of a side character in this story.

As for Millie, she's still a vague image of the quirky but intelligent woman we were introduced in GGAMA (Games, Guns, and Mutual Appreciation, the first story by Shememmy), but that concept has mostly been shattered over the course of four books.

Millie may have PTSD, but this isn't directly addressed, so it could just be a theory. She also still struggles with her addiction.

She enjoys cleaning because it comforts her...

Why did she open Sherlock's mail? Obviously she's always been curious, but why did she find it necessary to open it if she thought it belonged to Sherlock?

Millie still has a sense of pride, which contrasts Emily's own shattered one.

She lies to protect the views Sherlock has of her... Is this professional, or is there more to this?

Millie and Sherlock joke and tease like siblings. It's endearing.

...

Is Millie uncomfortable with Anderson's flirtation because she isn't used to being flirted with, or because she doesn't like Anderson? And why does this aggravate Sherlock. Perhaps there is something more going on between them.

Sherlock and Millie are relatively nonreactive toward the gruesome murder. I suppose they're used to it by this point.

The iris and the handwritten "virtue" clues seem to impact Millie. She's afraid.

Plot Furtherance:

The images were a flicker of plot, and the "virtue" hones in on something, yes? Is Millie being stalked? Is she next? And if so, who is stalking her — and why?

The questions raise suspicion, and therefore press the plot forward.

General Description:

The methodical nature of Millie's cleaning is described to perfection.

When it goes into detail of what the pictures portray, I can image each as if they were in my own hands.

The crime scene is repugnant, but the way it is captured is addictive and infinitely readable. The chapter was beautifully written.

Tone and Mood:

It is relatively eerie. Not necessarily scary, but an air creepiness claims the majority of the chapter. It's enough to send your nerves alight, your mind racing, and your body to enter the state of being uncomfortably aware.

There are tidbits of comedy, but for the most part it is consistently ominous.

Song: Mona Lisa by Panic! At the Disco. It fits the shuddersome criteria.

For a third chapter, things are surely getting sinister already...

....

Thank you for reading! I hope you enjoyed it.

 I remember that this was actually one of my favorite chapters I've ever read by Shem, so I was thrilled to be able to review it.

 Happy Sunday.

 I will see you Tuesday.