NIGHTSCAPE

NIGHTSCAPE.

—————

The streets of Asadal raged with life. Traders, travellers, and locals occupied the streets which were located between dwellings of various sizes, pit houses, log houses and elevated houses. The nobles and royals lived in fortresses which held temples of many purposes as they were able to afford more than a peasant. On the outskirts of the city, many dolmens can be found which were used as burial sites for known individuals.

The lands of Jinjoseon were famous for their rich supplies of gold, lead, lacquer, jade, and copper which was used in everyday lives of the inhabitants. For construction and toolmaking, people often used basalt as it was easy to find and manipulate.

"The weather is pleasant, and so is the company of mine," Namjoon's voice echoed through the gardens of the estate.

Hoseok only hummed in reply, eyes studying the foreign plants which blended well with the local fauna. He was mesmerised by the extravagant pallet which presented itself before his eyes, even if it was dark, the vice Dangun was still able to picture the vibrant colours of the plants around him.

The air was cool, and the ground did little to warm the crust. This day somehow reminded Hoseok of the day Namjoon became the King, a Supreme Dangun, of the two confederacies of Gojoseon. It was cool that day, the warmth of his robes was the only contented feeling, except of Namjoon taking the title. Those days, the vice Dangun barely trusted the new King, he thought of him as immature and tainted, despite the new peace he proposed to the Beonjoseon's vice Dangun before his coronation. He hesitantly accepted, careful as their recent history was not of the best representations of a union.

Hoseok let out a small chuckle before he could realise, and Namjoon's attention immediately snapped to the male sat before him. Brown eyes wide and brows raised, silently asking the question of what the matter is.

"I remembered the day you became the King," the vice Dangun began, "you were young and so was the winter,"

The King relaxes and let out a contented sigh, "you thought of me as weak and not reliable,"

"Who would not think that?" Hoseok's brow arched, "you were as young as seventeen summers,"

"I suppose," Namjoon agreed, a soft smile on his lips as he took a bite of the juicy imported fruit brought to him as an offering by his new southwestern allies, "I was not keen on becoming a king at all," he confessed, tone casual.

"This is our life, Namjoon," the older male stated, "no one chooses the life they are part of," he added softly, eyes falling on the cut fruit before them, "what is this fruit?" He changed the subject.

"It is called a mango," the King replied, motioning with his hand for Hoseok to take a piece of it to try the fruitlet for himself.

Hesitantly, Hoseok pulled out his hand from his thick robes and struggled to take a hold of the slippery fruit, frowning at his failed attempt to take a piece which lay on the plate. Namjoon laughed softly but stayed silent as the vice Dangun sent him a playful glare, attempting to pull out a piece once again, which threatened to slip out of his delicate fingers.