III. Praeteria: winter of 1899

"This is just... terrifying," Albus gasped. His lean figure was seated at the windowsill, legs slightly bent in front of him. There was a book opened and resting in his palms, pages yellowed from frequent use, the leatherback torn and shabby. Delicate features of the adolescent boy made a surprised expression that quickly changed into disbelief and then an appalling grimace. "Have you no shame?"

Aberforth, dressed in a silk gown with muscles fighting their way out of the tight fabric of a woman's dress, gave a shrug and raised his chin. His expression was that of a stone. "Never and none. Are you ashamed of me Ari?"

Albus squinted at the small and fragile girl standing in the shadows near the door. She was dressed in a similar fashion as her older brother, needless to say, the blue dress fit her perfectly though. She was gaping at Albus, her eyes hazy and wide open appeared to be bigger than usual, framed by waves of fair hair reminding him of faded gold and complimenting well the dress. She shook her head.

"I will probably put on a hat as well," said Aberforth and touched the nest of curly hair crawling down his shoulders. "What do you think?"

Albus' face tightened, and the boy closed the book slowly. "Does mother know?"

Aberforth looked at the small girl and replied evasively. "I will tell her later."

"If you spin yet another web of lies, we will not be able to move through all the threads in this house anymore," murmured Albus distantly, and his gaze found the window again.

"I said I will tell her later. We will just take a quick look at the women's winter march, that's all. We will be home soon enough. It will be dark outside anyway, no one will know."

In the meantime, the girl stepped forward, suddenly illuminated by the dim light invading the room. Her cheeks blushed against the pale skin when she came in with a hat. Aberforth crouched down for Ariana to fix the hat in place on his head. There was a fresh sweetness blooming around her today and bringing to the room the early spring.

Albus kept thinking it over, obviously displeased at the idea. "Be careful of the flashing lights. I am sure there will be lots of candles. It might become very loud as well."

Aberforth smiled warmly and made an attempt to curtsy. "Thank you," he whispered to Ariana, stood up, and turned to Albus, no expression at all. "We will follow the march a few streets behind. Ariana wanted to see the flowers in the church, then we will come back."

"I see," he uttered. Albus has never prohibited him to do anything directly, he took the way around instead, the stealthy steps evading what was truly bothering him. Aberforth knew this, so he was not truly surprised by the sudden turn of the conversation. "Should you not study instead?"

Aberforth looked at him. "As long as there are wizards like you to be the backbone of the society, it's fine if it's not me," he replied. "Hogwarts can't have us both after all."

"What about the future?" Asked Albus, absent-minded.

"What about it?"

"Don't you have any plans?"

"I might. But who would take care of the goats?"

The older of the boys gave way to a disagreeing frown. "Who would want to take care of goats?"

"I would," replied the quiet voice of the girl, nearly a whisper. It was very easy to forget her presence sometimes.

"Here, see for yourself," said Aberforth decidedly and straightened his back. "Young and eager volunteer pioneering the goat care. I am proud."

The powdery-blue gaze rose to the young man on the windowsill. Expectations, tenderness, and innocence shone through the eyes like little stars dancing in the girl's irises. "Albus, are you coming as well?"

"I deem one undercover knight to be enough for the princess tonight. I have a book to go through anyway. Besides, Aunt Honoria is coming to grace us with her presence in the evening. Maybe it is better this way."

Ariana's eyes darkened like night, and her smile sunk into disappointment. Aberforth awkwardly fidgeted. "Maybe we can take the goats along?"

"Which ones are we taking?" Enquired the girl, intrigued.

"You can choose the heroic company." The young boy in dress answered and watched her face light up in what he considered seconds, the ghost of her sincere happiness coming back to life quickly. Her hands flew up in excited gestures. The girl's silhouette danced across the room in a series of light step spins and leaned against the door again, watching them playfully, like a puppy waiting for its parent.

"She is in a good mood," stated Aberforth, clearly pleased with himself, and set out for the doors after Ariana.

"Aberforth," Albus addressed the younger brother one last time. The boy in the woman dress turned between the threshold, lifting the hat from his face to present a question through the arched eyebrows. "Are you sure it's safe?"

"Definitely not. But I will have Ari to protect me," replied Aberforth and patted the girl on the tiny head, dishevelling the sea of golden waves in the process.

"See you, Albus," said the girl, her voice ringing like bells of delight before disappearing into the hallway.

Albus nodded and opened the book again, quiet and still like an ancient statue, whose presence has been gradually washed away by time.