Chapter 8 - Interrogated by an Old Man

| | |

| | |

"He's a vampire. They're all vampires."

Annabelle snapped her head towards Bella. "What?"

"I think they're vampires," mumbled Bella, fumbling around with her fingers, her gaze locked on her lap. She glanced up a little only to look back down. She thought that Annabelle would find her crazy. "Th-Think about it. They're fast, strong. They have pale-white skin and cold to the touch. They're eyes change colors. I think they're vampires, Annabelle."

"You're right."

Bella looked taken aback by the simple statement Annabelle made. Now it was Bella's turn to say, "What?"

"Yep." Annabelle nodded. "You're right; they're vampires. Actually, I'm half." She figured there was no reason to lie to Bella. Plus, she didn't want to lose one of her only friends.

"You're half vampire?" Bella hushed down even though they're sitting in her truck in the school's parking lot.

"Yeah." Annabelle shoved her sleeve up to show the bite mark on her wrist. "It was about two-ish months ago."

"Oh my God," Bella whispered in disbelief, sitting back in her seat. She couldn't believe it – her friend is a half vampire, and the entire Cullen family is one too. "Wait," Bella said, sitting upright to look at Annabelle, "then what's Jackson?"

"He's one too."

"Oh my God," Bella whispered again in disbelief, this time a little louder. The reality was setting in for her and even though she sort of already knew, it's still quite hard to wrap her hear around. Bella looked up to see the Cullen family arrive in a red car while Edward arrived in his silver one. "Alright, um, we should probably go." She clumsily stumbled out the car, yet somehow managing to land on her two feet.

Annabelle followed in suit, shutting the door behind her. She frowned when she still sees the dent in it. When she looked back up, Bella was already making her way up the hill behind the high school with Edward trailing behind her. She smirked to herself when she remembers the threat she gave him.

Sighing to herself, Annabelle hiked her backpack up higher on her shoulders before walking up to school.

The rest of the day passed uneventfully. Mike came up once to ask where Bella was, and Annabelle gave as simple answer of "Not here". From across the lunchroom, Emmett snorted into his sandwich (he wasn't eating it) and Jasper cracked a smile. Annabelle just found Mike's presence irritating.

After school ended, Bella drove them back to their street. She was unusually silent for someone who just found out vampires exist. Annabelle guessed that Edward answered all her dying questions, something that she was grateful for (not that she would tell him or anything).

"Belle!" Christian screamed the minute she walked through the front door.

Immediately, a smile adorned her face. She opened her arms, crouching, allowing her brother to come crashing into her. "Hi," she said.