Chapter 9 - Beautiful Scars

| | |

| | |

"I'm going to take you to my place tomorrow," Edward said, landing on top of the truck.

"Get off!" yelled Annabelle as she was the first one to recover first. Bella stood still, the water hose laid limply in her hands. The blonde couldn't believe how he could ruin the truck more than it already was.

Edward did what he was told and got off the truck.

"Could you act human?" Bella said incredulously. "I mean, I have neighbors."

"Yeah, me," scoffed Annabelle. Annabelle was fixing the dent in the fender that was caused during Bella's accident with Tyler's van. Apparently, she looked like she was having some struggle in Edward's mind, so he reached over her shoulder to pop it back. She whirled around and glared at him. "I had that."

He barely gave the blonde a glance when he replied, "Sure you did."

"Wait, like with your family?" Bella asked, the idea getting to her. He nodded. Bella, too flustered with the notion of going to his house didn't even register the truck getting fixed. "But . . . what if they don't like me?"

Edward laughed, chuckling through his words, "You're worried, not because you'll be in a houseful of vampires, but because you think they won't approve of you?"

"Glad I amuse you," she said dryly.

He smiled, opening his mouth to reply when his head turned sharply, sniffing the air.

Annabelle could smell it, too. Woods and day-after-rain with a hint of oil.

Bella picked up on it. "What is it?"

Edward glanced at Annabelle. "A complication," he finally answered. He touched Bella's arm gently, saying, "I'll pick you up tomorrow." He then walked back to his shiny Volvo. He turned around, a grin on his face. "Don't worry!" he called. "She'll be there, too!" He pointed at Annabelle.

"Yeah, yeah, sure I will." The Texan rolled her eyes.

A truck all to familiar pulled up next to Bella's red one.

Billy's truck.

Jacob hopped out of the passenger seat to grab the wheelchair from the bed, opening it up for his father.

Bella smiled at the sight of them two. "Hey. Come to visit your truck?"

Jacob looked up at the brunette before looking at the truck. "Looks good," he commented. "You got out that dent."

"All thanks to me," said Annabelle, standing up from her crouched position. Even though Bella knew it wasn't her, she didn't dare to correct her.

"Actually, we came to visit your flat screen," Billy corrected, smirking. "First Mariners game of the season. Plus, Jacob here, kept bugging me to see you again."