Chapter 14

Was it real? Was he dreaming? The feeling of Gwyn's small figure under his arms was the only proof that he wasn't dreaming. They continued dancing until the music changed and it became almost physically painful to feel Gwyn's touch fade as she retreated her hand from his. She said that she needed to get some fresh air and Azriel was slightly tempted to follow her until his conscience kicked in and reminded him to leave her space.

He returned to his corner of the ballroom where he could see everything. He was so lost in his thoughts that he didn't notice someone coming to his side.

"Are you okay?" Elain asked in the sweet voice that Azriel remembered, breaking him from his thoughts. He cleared his throat and tried to compose himself before speaking.

"I'm fine. Are you okay?" Elain's eyes rose to meet his and a light blush crept up her face.

"I'm fine, just fascinated by all of this."

"Is it too much?" He asked, voicing his own feeling.

"Quite the opposite actually. I think other areas of the palace could use more decoration. The ballroom, however, is perfect in every single way."

"You like it?"

Elain nodded and Azriel could see how excited she was about all of this.

"I do, very much. I used to enjoy it when my parents took us to balls and we got to wear big, fancy dresses."

It wasn't until she mentioned dresses that Azriel really took a look at her and her flowery, pink skirts.

"It suits you, you look beautiful." Azriel answered genuinely.

"Thank you." Elain said as the pink color on her face grew.

Azriel could see the difference between Elain when she got to pick her own clothes and when she had to wear the Night Court colours. Flowers and light colours were her element. Feyre and Nesta both looked like queen warriors in black, meanwhile Elain looked like all hapiness and light had been stripped from her.

It took Azriel longer than usual to notice that she was not there as a member of the Night Court. She was there just as Elain Archeron, a beautiful, young fae attending a ball at the Autumn Court. She was different. She had changed. She no longer seemed like a damsel in distress.

"You came here on your own?" Azriel asked her. She considered her answer for a few seconds before giving it.

"N-No. I came here with Lucien."

Azriel managed to hide his shock quickly. He knew that Lucien was her mate, but as far as he knew, she didn't like being close to him. She avoided him whenever he was around. Before, he wouldn't have minded it. But now that he thought about it, he couldn't imagine how it must have felt for Lucien. That his mate ran away whenever he was close. That his mate tried to have little to none contact with him. That his mate couldn't stand being around him.

 He knew that Lucien was a good guy and it surprised him to realize that he was actually glad that Elain had decided to give him a chance. He wanted Elain to be happy and if Lucien made her happy, then he would let her be. He thought that it would hurt more, to let her go. But picturing her happy, even if it was with another male, was enough to make him feel better. And like that, he realized that he was no longer in love with her.

"Do you want to dance?" He asked as he extended his hand. For old time's sake, he thought. Elain smiled and nodded before accepting his hand.

They danced a song and after that Azriel gave Elain's hand a light kiss before retiring. He returned to his corner feeling like a weight had finally been taken off his chest.