Chapter 3

As Carlisle drove home that evening, he found himself thinking about Kaitlyn. He had caught her scent while in his office. It was the most unique scent he had ever smelled and when he saw her, he thought that she was the most beautiful person he had ever seen before. And he didn't think he would ever find someone like that again after Esme. Esme had met her true mate about two decades ago, during the 80's. He would always want her to be happy, so he willingly let her be with her new mate. They still remained friends. She and her new mate, Michael, lived with the Denali's in Alaska, as a way to stay close. But, he couldn't deny that he had been lonely since Esme had left. He was grateful to have his kids around, but it still wasn't easy. The kids knew how difficult it has been for him. Even Edward, who hadn't found his mate yet, understood that it couldn't be easy for Carlisle lose someone he loved and be around others who had the person they loved.

Carlisle pulled into the driveway of his family's home and walked inside. He was greeted by his kids.

"Hi guys." He greeted. He set his stuff in his office and joined the rest of them.

"How was work?" Alice asked.

"Same as it always is." Carlisle said.

"No, it wasn't." Edward said with a smirk.

"I'd appreciate it if you stayed out of my head, please." Carlisle said, giving his son a stern look.

"Sorry." Edward said. "I could hear your thoughts as you pulled up."

"What's wrong?" Rosalie asked.

"Nothing's wrong." Carlisle said.

"Well, something must be up if Edward said something." Emmett said.

"Everything's fine." Carlisle said. "It was a normal day at work." He loved his kids, but he hated how involved they would get in his life. Especially since Esme had left.

"Then, why are thinking about Esme?" Edward asked.

Carlisle sighed. He knew they wouldn't leave him alone now. "There's this girl that started working at the hospital today." Carlisle said. "And she uh smelled different compared to everyone else."

"Is she your blood singer?" Jasper asked.

"I don't know." Carlisle said. "She's just different. I feel something for her. Even more than I did when I turned Esme."

"What do you know about her?" Alice asked.

"I don't really know anything about her." Carlisle replied. "All I know is that her name is Kaitlyn and today was her first day as the new receptionist."

Alice and Rosalie squealed with delight.

"No." Carlisle said. "It's not happening."

"Why not?" Alice asked.

"Because she's human." Carlisle said. "And..." He trailed off.

"Esme?" Emmett asked.

"I don't know why it still bothers me." Carlisle said.

"You still love her and care about her." Jasper said.

"And I don't think that will ever change." Carlisle said.

"You two were each other's first love." Rosalie said. "That's not going to go away so easily."

"We know it hasn't been easy for you since Esme left." Edward said. "If you think this girl will make you happy, we're on board with it."

"I haven't decided what I want to do yet." Carlisle said. "I want to get to know her, but I don't want to bring her into our world."

"Whatever you decide, we'll support you." Alice said.

"Thank you guys." Carlisle said, smiling.