Chapter 6

It took a while for Yujin's mind to catch up with her, and she finally got off the swing and started to chase after Wonyoung who was heading for the wooded area behind the park.

"Wonyoung!" She called, trying to squint through the darkness. The trees were blocking the moonlight so it was hard to see anything. "Wonyoung, please don't be mad, I didn't mean that." Yujin heard Wonyoung stop.

"I'm not mad," Wonyoung said slightly peeved. "I'm annoyed."

Yujin bit her lip as she finally found Wonyoung in a clearing. "I'm sorry."

"I just don't get you," Wonyoung said frustrated, and ran a hand through her hair. "You say you like me, yet you act like a complete ass, and then you say that it's all a game?"

"No, no. That's not what I meant," Yujin said desperately. "I just meant that, I thought you liked me...trying that hard?" She had no idea how to say what she was feeling without annoying Wonyoung further.

Wonyoung raised an eyebrow and opened her mouth to speak and then closed it again. "What?"

Yujin let out a sigh. "Okay, I guess it's the arrogance in me but I honestly thought you liked me too and that you were just playing hard to get."

Wonyoung didn't say anything and just stared at Yujin with an unreadable expression.

"Sometimes," Yujin continued. "When I would talk to you and I'll start to flirt, I see this like, little smile on your face. And I guess I thought that meant that you liked me and thought I was-"

"Funny?" Wonyoung finished.

Yujin smiled a little. "Yeah."

"Well," Wonyoung looked at the ground and started moving around some leaves and dirt with her foot. "Some of the things you would say were sweet and ridiculous at the same time."

"Sweet? You thought I was sweet?" Yujin said hopefully.

"At times," Wonyoung clarified, and the smile on Yujin's face faltered. "But then you would say something so incredibly pretentious I'd forget why I was smiling in the first place."

Yujin looked down. "I just don't know how to act in front of you."

"So acting like an arrogant toerag is your default?"

Yujin almost laughed at Wonyoung's choice of words, but stopped when she saw that Wonyoung was not in the mood for joking. "I don't have to try so hard with anyone else," she admitted. "With you, I feel like I need to step up a little and try to get a reaction from you. With any other girl, all I have to do is like compliment her outfit, and she'll go out with me."

"Well, I'm not just any other girl," Wonyoung said a little offended she was being roped into Yujin's groupies.

"I know," Yujin said immediately, and Wonyoung looked up surprised. "That's why I like you so much. You're smart, you're pretty, you're witty, you're not afraid of speaking your mind and standing up for yourself." She looked at the ground again feeling a little embarrassed.

Wonyoung blushed a little at Yujin's compliments and was thankful she was looking down. "You didn't have to try so hard," Wonyoung said softly, but Yujin heard every word.

Yujin just stared at her not quite sure of what to say. Thankfully, Liz and Rei chose that moment to show up.

"There you guys are," Rei said when she spotted them. "We thought you left without us."

"Everything alright?" Liz asked a little worried by the way that Wonyoung and Yujin were staring at each other.

"Everything's find," Wonyoung said breaking their gaze. "Liz, I have to go home." She walked pass Yujin without looking at her and started heading out of the area.