Chapter 1

On a drizzly morning, Ramit knocked on his wife's door. His marriage was a year old and it somehow turned into an abyss. At least, to him. Why were things the way they were? He thought about it almost all the time. His wife always said she loved peace and calm in her life but where was the line between that and how they were? Living apart and meeting once in a while. They were married, for god's sake.

He was deeply in love with her though. All he wanted was her to value him and his feelings. He did not even need her to love him back.

He moved to one side, giving up the shelter of the eave from the rain. If she finds him through the peephole, it would be a wasted journey. Whenever she found him 'disturbing,' she'd turned a blind eye and completely ignored him and his words, to keep her 'peace.' And he was there, disturbing her, or rather trying to disrupt her plans.

She bought this house when they got married with all of her savings. Few moments later, she opened the door and he quickly went in. She had a look of disapproval on her face. He didn't know if he was heartbroken yet, but he definitely felt very bitter.

"You're done packing?" He asked with a dumb expression.

"Yes?" Her reply was curt, too curt.

"I finished lining up everything. I can come with you." The last five days were the busiest he'd ever been. He chose two more assistants and decided to trust them while he'd be remote for who knows how long.

Moments passed. It was like the calm before the storm. He could feel her seething with anger.

"I don't want to live with anyone!" She shouted. It was rare for her to lose her calm like that. Her tone was always measured, no ups and downs, no holding back, and unaffected by anything.

"No, listen to me..." he tried softly. He gently caught her arms, which felt warm to his freezing hands. A part of his shirt was slightly wet.

"I told you long before that we won't live together." She slapped one of his hands away.

"I know... But I want to know why? It's been a year. Won't you still tell me?" In fact, their relationship was pretty good when they started out as newlyweds, but just for a month. In fact it was so good, he had his hopes pushed to the clouds.

She gave him a hard stare. He slowly withdrew his other hand.

"I have work to do. I should go now." She said calmly and turned away, checking her keys, passport and visa.

He took a deep breath. He was scared, but he had to put all his cards out. If hell broke loose and everything fell apart, let it! "I went to your office. Your boss told me that you chose to be transferred there yourself."

Strangely, there was no change in her countenance at all.

"Yes, I did." The tilt of her head was a precise translation of how she mocked him, without a trace of guilt.

"And you lied to everyone saying it was not in your hands..." he said in disbelief. Everyone, his parents, her parents and finally to him.

She shrugged it off. "Let's just get a divorce! I'm going!" She banged the door and left to catch her plane.

Left alone, he stood silently. He sighed and walked around to find another set of keys. He took off his shirt, wiped his arm with it and spread it out to dry. The place was relatively new to him. She never came to his house, nor did she like him in hers. Where did they meet then? Hotels. That was how bad things stood for a while now.

He carefully searched in all the corners she would keep the keys to hide them from him. But he found none and walked out with a weak smile, picking his shirt and locking the door from inside. Once down, he opened the trunk of his car. The luggage he had packed hurriedly came into view. He sighed again. Moving the luggage a bit, he made room for the potted plant that caught his attention just before while he toured the house. There was no dropper nor any other make do water facility. She left it to die in that empty house.