Chapter 5

"What?" Ramit snapped at her right after she picked up his call.

"What about our divorce?"

"Why? Someone caught your eye?"

She did not know what was up with him and why he was so grumpy and irritable. She should be the annoyed one because he made her wait quite a while for his call. "... there will never be anyone and you know that."

"I didn't file it. I... I won't!" His voice became soft. The first to fall in love is on the losing end, someone said. And he lost his spine and his self esteem in her presence. There'll never be anyone, not even him. And yet, knowing that, here he was.

"Then let's rethink it."

Surprised and hopeful, he asked, "I... Then, will you let me stay with you?"

"Well, I'm pregnant. What should we do?"

On the other side of the phone, his face changed quite a bit. First, he was angry, then frustrated. Why did he think she changed somehow? So, this was the reason. Then he felt hopeful and happy. This was the god given chance to turn things for better. He had one final thing to know.

"What are your thoughts? Will you let it be born?"

"Honestly, I don't want to. But if you want, I'm willing. I've taken enough from you." Although you are to be blamed more for your own sadness, she thought. She was not insensible. She could perceive his feelings well. Only, she failed to understand their significance.

"I want."

"Fine. Then tell your parents and mine."

"Okay. I... left the job. I want to completely concentrate on Hidden. But I don't want to ask my parents for help. It's getting hard to pay for maintenance. If I rent my condo, it'll be great." The maintenance getting hard was the only lie.

"You want to stay at mine?"

"No! We should rent it out too. Let that money also go into the investment. I'll pay you back later. But without interest."

"Where are you going to stay? And where should I go when I come back? Are you doing this just so you could convince me to live together?"

"No... I was thinking about what you said that day. I want Hidden to grow big. This is what I want for my second life. Moreover, if I don't come, my parents will ask you to come back. It's reasonable enough for your safety. What will you say then?"

He was speaking the truth. "Then where will you live?"

"You are the best option I have. All you should do is give me one room. I'll cook for you instead of paying any rent."

"You don't have to cook. But... I want a fifth of whatever ownership you have," she said after a moment. She rented a flat only for one person. She should see if the owner agrees.

"I'll give you one third. I'll live rent free for 3 years. It'll be a very profitable investment."

"Okay." She said after a very long pause, 3 minutes.

"Then I'll be there in a week." He hung up right after lest she change her mind.

Their conversation just now felt all air-headed. And this was the most important conversation of their lives.

Over the next week there were congratulations and blessings and pregnancy diet and tips as one after another relative called her. She spoke to all of them for as long as they were willing.

∼•∽

The next week he was at her door. And as soon as she opened it, she kissed him. But he controlled himself and walked in as if uninterested.