Chapter 17

Downstairs, Ramit had a talk with his parents. His mother pulled him into one corner of the house. His dad also came.

"Don't be too harsh on her. She's trying everything. She's pregnant but look how she kept standing because of you!" his mother said.

"Ramit, don't listen to your mother. Do this. Go and drop her off at her parents' home. If they ask what happened, tell them everything."

His mother elbowed his father. "Do you think he'll marry anyone after divorcing her?"

"Maa..." His wife laughed at his love and now his mother also thought he could not let that love go.

"Of course he should!" His father said to his mother and turned to him. "What are you whining about? This time I'll choose the girl for you. I'll choose someone who is very kind to you and the child."

His mother facepalmed.

"I'm still married, papa... I'll get going." Ramit peeped from behind the wall that blocked the three from the view of their room. The door to it was still closed and Geetha had not come out.

He quickly touched their feet and hugged them. His luggage strolled on the floor as he headed out.

"Since when is he such a coward?" Seeing his son running away, he asked his wife.

"Geetha is that hard to deal with. She is way more stubborn than him." In fact, she was thankful that Geetha was stubborn. She hoped the girl could persuade her son and they both could lead a normal life. If she agreed to the divorce and left, it would definitely leave an unhealable mark on her son and he may never move on.

∼•∽

By the time Geetha came out, satisfied with her luggage, the house felt a little empty.

She stood in the living room looking around lost. With a frown, she walked to the front porch. There was only one car, her father-in-law's.

He dared to leave without her! She walked back in and sat on the sofa with a stoic face.

She opened Google Maps on her phone to find her timeline of a particular day. But it showed up empty. Perhaps she had her location turned off that day when he took her to his apartment, right after Ria's wedding. But she failed to take notice of the area or the building name. Back then when he drove, she sat placing tiles on Reddit. After all, the event happened once every 5 years and Ramit was the one she was going with. She didn't feel the need to be vigilant and completely immersed herself into making a peacock on the Indian flag while also helping in defending the border with Denmark.

She then opened her contacts. Who knew she would one day have to talk to that dimwit playboy, Abhay. She did not remember what she had named him. Nothing came up when she searched 'Abhay'. She scrolled through each of her contacts.

In five minutes she reached the last and 558th contact. Her memory of many people refreshed with the activity. She scrolled back up, yet she did not find it. She shut off her phone and sat brooding.

"Are you waiting for your cab?" Her mother-in-law asked. Her father-in-law also walked over albeit keeping some metres distance from her and folding his hands over his chest.

"Maa, how can I go without telling you?" She stood up and touched their feet.

Then she slowly said, "Maa... Do you know where Ramit went?"

"He said he was going to his flat, didn't he?"

Geetha sucked in a breath and asked, "Yeah... where is it?"