Chapter 18

When she reached the building, she went to the watchman. "Did my husband go out or is he in there?"

The watchman felt uncomfortable answering all her questions, but he said anyway, "He didn't come down," and walked a few steps to show her Ramit's car.

"The sun is bright outside, I'm so tired. Can you please give him a call and tell him? I'm also pregnant."

The watchman looked surprised. "You should announce it to him yourself!"

Geetha was confused. Could he not see her? She had a very obvious bump. She decided not to pay any mind to his idiocy.

"Heh! He knows! He won't lift my call. Also tell him I'm hungry. Tell him I didn't have a proper breakfast in the morning," she said. That time she threw some spoonfuls into her mouth and waited for him to let her pack.

The watchman seemed to understand better this time. He was going to entertain her one last time. He called Ramit and relayed whatever Geetha fed to him.

"What did he say?"

"He said okay."

She waited for 10 full minutes, until all of her patience ran out.

"Call him again."

This time the watchman denied saying he could not disturb any resident like that. He also pushed her luggage to her, clearly wanting to get rid of her.

She pulled her luggage to a wall and sat on it. Her thoughts frequently went back to the harmonious family she had met. She put her head down.

Soon her head started to ache. It was a bad decision to take a stroll under the burning afternoon sun.

When the pain increased and she started having trouble breathing, she called him. He cut her call right on the first ring. She sent him a message. 'Please let me in. I don't feel good.'

He replied. 'Then why are you still here?'

'I have nowhere to go.'

Inside the apartment, Ramit laughed out loud. She had nowhere to go now?

'I'm really not feeling well. I'm starving.' Another text came in.

His anger had just cooled down. He really didn't want to talk to her at the moment. But he decided to check on her anyway.

He went downstairs to find a bright pink ball, that was Geetha, on a pale travel bag. Her head was on her knees and she covered herself with the pallu of her saree.

As he walked close, sat up straight, perhaps hearing his footsteps, and smiled at him. He did not know what she was smiling for with the tired face she had.

He bent a little to observe her. Her forehead was perspiring.

"Get up. Let's go in," he said with a frown.

Once she stood, she again draped the pallu around her hands. "Are you feeling cold?"

"I might have a fever."

"What did you do to get a fever?" he asked as he pushed her luggage. His mother would think it was his fault that Geetha got a fever if she knew.

Geetha was on the verge of asking him to stop talking. It was becoming difficult for her to concentrate with her headache. She also felt like she was losing her balance. "I'll tell you once we're inside," she said with care.

When they were in the corridor of their floor, he said, "Just because I am letting you in doesn't change anything. I'd have helped even if it was anyone else in your place."