Chapter 26

It was the last day of the festival. All the delicacies cooked in these few days were so appetising, Geetha ate all she could while Ramit gave up on her after asking her to slow down a few times. He did not know how others saw her, at least it made his great granddad laugh heartily.

In the afternoon, she struggled to walk after eating too much.

"I told you!" Ramit was holding her hand.

"I know. I still want to eat." She closed her eyes and smacked her lips, still savouring the after taste. There were few instances in which she did not care about what people thought. Then there were others where she cared about their opinion a lot. Eating well fell in the first category. The leak of tears was an elephant in the second room.

They were walking in the backyard, in the shades of huge, years old peepal trees. Some of them had their trunks merged with a neem tree. Under one such tree sat a group of teens on some chairs.

"Let's sit for a while." Ramit said.

Geetha sighed. "Fine."

They walked over and sat down in the empty chairs beside them. They were all looking into their own devices but were debating something. It was about their great granddad's experience and if God was real.

"Look at these." A girl, on the farther side passed her phone to show pictures of animals worshipping the Shiv Ling. "What explains this?"

"Dogs are walking on two legs and cats are growing a thumb out there! What's so unexplainable about these? They are imitating humans," said a guy who seemed to be playing a video game, "It's all a hallucination."

Sitting in the company of this idiot, Geetha wanted to make a point. "The whole 21 of them saw the same thing at the same time. That's not a hallucination. They didn't even know each other to concoct everything."

"It's a mass hallucination. That's what explained UFO sightings too."

Geetha pursed her lips. "What is life if you don't believe in aliens?" She added, "And God." She turned to Ramit and asked, "Right? We have many goldilocks zones."

"Hm."

The guy did not speak any further. His game seemed to have turned serious.

She looked into their screens. One was browsing the web and writing down in a notebook. He seemed to be on an assignment. A girl was scrolling through her Instagram. The boy who just spoke to her was playing none other than PUBG and he was landing. Only intellectuals called it by its new name, she thought.

"BGMI? You're not as good as your cousin at it," she said after watching the guy camp for more than 3 minutes. She isn't the type to brag or start a conversation with someone she did not know well, but she had someone to impress right beside her. Moreover, she was spitting facts. During highschool the number of times Ramit had revived her was far more than the number of times she made it to top 20. Then again, she had her own forte. She was the emperor that took over countless kingdoms in March of Empires in her 2 year long gaming phase.

The boy wrinkled his nose as he clicked his tongue at her. "You also know there is no god so you're talking about other things!"

It took 10 seconds for her raised eyebrows to fall back down. In that case, she was not going to worry about disturbing the guy mid-match. "Right, does your Sara know that you are the one making her look this way and that?" She asked the teen who was anxiously running around to find a house to hide, not wanting to attract any players as the safe zone shrank. He did not reply to her and kept playing for ten more minutes. The camper boy somehow managed to reach the final circle with a single kill.