1

The warm sun hit my face as I stepped outside the cafe's awning to grab a chair sitting in the hot sun and I wrapped the hot metal with my apron as not to burn myself, and brought it back into the shade.

"Hey Lizzy, can you grab another set of silverware, I seemed to have forgotten one." My manager, Derek, asked. I nodded with a smile and sat the chair down in the last open spot.

I went back inside the café where a low hum of talking was buzzing around and the sound of an acoustic guitar was swirling through the building. I wrapped an extra set of silverware and grabbed a few extra cloth napkins in case of any accidents and went back outside.

Derek greeted me at the door and took the silverware from my hands. "Thanks for bringing the chairs out of the hot sun. We just got this sudden call about a large party arriving within the next hour. I appreciate all your hard work."

I smiled, putting the extra napkins down evenly on both sides of the table. "You're welcome. If I didn't help out, I know you'd be moving everything by yourself." It was a busy weekend and luckily, there was enough of us to help out on the main floor today, but most days there wasn't enough of us to go around.

"Too true, but I don't mind spending this extra time with you even if it's putting together tables." He smirked as he pushed past me to get to the glasses behind me. I blushed under his gaze and quickly turned away to help him.

Ever since starting this job I've had the largest crush on Derek. His slightly tanned skin that would glisten in the sun, his chocolate brown eyes to his contagious smile could always distract me from what was going on at work that day. He'd always crack jokes when we would get a rush to calm everyone's nerves down and always looked out for his coworkers when we would get sick or need the day off. Most times you'd fine him opening and closing the shop if we were short handed that way none of us had to pull crazy long shifts. He was an overall good guy and attractive inside and out.

I grabbed a water pitcher and the ice bucket and starred filling the glasses to the brim with ice then filling it with water hoping the hot sun would melt some of the ice down to cool the water. Derek set extra glasses next to each water glass as I went down the table. "Would it be too much to ask for you to be the server? It's supposed to be some K-pop group coming in so I want the best server to be present."

"Of course!" I chirped.

He sat the last glass down and lifted his hand to tuck a stand of hair that escaped my pony tail behind my ear. "Thanks beautiful, I can always count on you" he whispered as his face got close to mine. "I'm going to check in on the front of the house. Good luck!"

I watched him wall away unfazed by his flirty gesture. I stood there my face burning red as I tried to wrap my head around what just happened. Out of all the years I've worked here he has never called me beautiful, not even the other servers have been called it nonetheless a nickname. So why now? I certainly wasn't beautiful. I was short, a bit thick in areas and had wavy auburn hair that was always out of control in the frizz department. My eyes were a dull grey, I had no outstanding features and my skin was so white you could blind yourself looking at me in the sun. I wasn't anything special and I didn't mind it. I've always wanted a boyfriend but my schooling and job came first so I haven't made any friends since I've moved here for school. Boys or girls didn't look at me as attractive. I was plain. Just a plain wallflower. And I was fine with that.

"Um, noona are you okay?" A deep voice next to me said causing me to jump and spill water from the pitcher onto me. "Sshi-bal, I am so sorry."

I quickly sat the pitcher down on the table and grabbed a napkin and started blotting my soaked shirt with it. It's a good thing I brought extra napkins I thought. I soon felt pressure on my shoulder and looked up to see the most prettiest guy I've ever seen in my life wiping my shoulder with a napkin.