5

Klaus didn't say a word and neither did Arabella. He stood up and she sat up on the bed, propping herself up on a pillow. After a few minutes of the deafening silence, Arabella spoke up.

"In 1926, why did you never come back to Chicago like you said you would?" She tilted her head, trying to see where Klaus had walked to.

"Mikael." Klaus quickly answered before walking back to the bed.

"Mikael was the reason you left in the first place, why did you make a promise to me that you'd come back when you clearly knew you wouldn't?" She had questions on questions she was desperate for answers to, but that was the main one.

"I needed you to hate me." He replied, with yet another short answer. Arabella stayed silent for a few seconds until she put the pieces together in her head.

"Mmm.. I get it." She looked up at him, he was standing next to the bed, on the side she was on, "You wanted me to hate you so it wouldn't hurt me as bad. The last words you said to me, privately and away from Stefan, were about how sorry you were, I assumed you said that because you staked me and "killed" me, now that makes so much more sense." She thought out loud, discovering more and more as she spoke.

"Took you almost a century." He laughed to himself before sitting on the edge of the bed.

"You had set everything up, oh my God, how was I so stupid? I knew there was something off, something that seemed too good to be true, but I never thought of any of that until now.. How it was you and I and Stefan and Rebekah? Was that planned?" Arabella questioned him, her mind all over the place.

"If that was planned, Rebekah wouldn't be daggered and in a coffin right now and your death never would've been faked. The only thing that was ever planned was me looking out for you, which I shouldn't have done considering where we are now." Klaus gave her the long answer she wanted, and with that, she laid down again.

"Thank you."

"Hm?" He lifted an eyebrow at her, looking confused.

"Thank you for telling me the truth," She turned over to look at him, her face filled with awe, "And for everything else you've done for me, aside from wanting me to hate you.." Arabella sidetracked the conversation, which caused Klaus to laugh.

"You would've been better off if you hated me, Arabella." He put his hand on her leg, his thumb gently caressing where his hand was. "You still would be."

"You still think that?" Arabella asked, looking up at him, her eyes filled with confusion as he took a deep breath and nodded, "Niklaus, no one is better off without you." She used his full name to make it known that she was serious.

Klaus didn't respond, instead, he stood up, finished the drink he had poured moments earlier, then laid next to Arabella.

"You need to get some sleep, Arabella. I am leaving tomorrow and if you wish to continue this, you're coming." Klaus spoke, laying down and hoping for Arabella to lay down and end the conversation.

"You just got back, Klaus, you're leaving all over again? Why?" Arabella asked, turning over to face him.

"Petrova troubles, I need to find Katerina." Klaus sighed and Arabella subtly gasped.

"Kater- Katherine?!"

"She has been running for centuries, Arabella, i'm looking again, she is going to help get me the key to the ritual, then she is going to die." Klaus stopped mid sentence after realizing what he had just told Arabella.

"Good luck, Klaus." Arabella got up from the bed and began to walk away, but Klaus sped over to her.

"I saved your life and now you're walking away?" Klaus shouted, but quietly.