s i x

NOT A QUITTER

NOT A QUITTER

"You are my sweetheart

"You are my sweetheart." Prachi cooed and nibbled on her lower lip as the other side of the call stayed silent for a few seconds. Nervousness danced onto her face as the other person groaned audibly.

"I know and that is the reason you called me after two weeks." Prachi puffed at the mocking comment, feeling guilty for hurting the lady who gave her shelter for a month, protected her like a newborn, fragile and delicate and what did she give her in return. She disrespected her and came here without her consent, to become the object of scorn for her so-called family.

"I am sorry badi maa," Prachi murmured. She gnawed the inside of her cheeks, ignoring the tears pricking the corners of her eyes.

"No need for the sorry bacha, your happiness matters the most for me. I hope you are happy there. After all, the hatred must have been doubled, right?" Prachi gulped at her contemptuous reply.

She kept quiet, void of any reply.

"Silence speaks" Sushma mumbled, her tone calm, proud of guessing the scenario correctly.

"He says he is guilty" Prachi whispered in his defence or rather tried to make herself remember, what he said and what has he done for it. Nothing that can be counted as a step towards his redemption.

"That means your sister has left your house?" Sushma asked, wanting to hear a 'yes' but she knew wishing for it was nothing less than demanding mercy from Satan, that's next to impossible.

Prachi chose to remain silent, again. She was out of words to tell the uncertainty of her relationship. Wasn't she the one who was once so proud of their love and couldn't stop talking about it but now except for the tale of her bruised heart she couldn't remember anything?

"Words Prachi" Sushma enunciated.

"Not yet" and maybe never she wanted to add it but refrained herself from saying it.

"Does Ranbir know that you are pregnant?" Sushma threw another question as if ready with the list of questions that were capable of refreshing her wounds. Although she was hating herself for doing it but she knew by doing so she was only making Prachi rethink her decision of not moving on and that her resolution of returning to her so-called family by lowering her self-esteem was the worst among all the available options.