SEVEN

"Take a deep breath." Her father instructed. Rick stood a few paces back, watching her like a hawk. "Let it out nice and slow, and when you do, I want you to squeeze that trigger."

A sand packed sack of ratty burlap waited fifty paces away. It was cold, frigid actually, and despite the fact the snow had covered the estate in a thick quilt overnight, with fat flakes still steadily falling, Selena wore no gloves.

"You need to learn to do it when you're scared." Rick had told her. "When your fingers are numb and your whole body is shaking. Anyone can get a lucky shot under perfect conditions."

Selena obeyed; a single long breath pluming like smoke from the corner of her mouth. She braced herself and squeezed the trigger. The bullet went wide, barely glancing off the sandbag.

"Dammit!"

"Don't let your mother hear you swear, then we'll both be in trouble." Rick inclined his head towards the target. "Alright, reload and try again. You're still too nervous. Relax, I promise the burlap isn't going to run away."

"And maybe this time don't close your eyes."

"Alex!" Selena nearly dropped the gun. She set it down and tore through the snow, breathless by the time she reached her brother. "I didn't know you were coming home!"

"I told Dad to keep it a surprise."

"Lena what did I say about leaving your gun just laying on the ground?" Rick rolled his eyes. "Alex." He smiled and clapped his son on a forearm.

"Good to see you Dad."

"Alex!" Evy appeared from an open doorway. She wasn't dressed for the weather either, but that didn't stop her from rushing to see her son.

"Surprise Mum. I had a few days to spare, so I thought I'd come home."

"This is a wonderful surprise." Evy beamed. "How are you? When did you get in?" She fussed dotingly over her firstborn. "Let's get inside before we all freeze to death."

Inside they'd gathered around the library's grand fireplace. Selena sat at her fathers feet, hands and toes slowly thawing out, as her brother told them where his travels had led him.

"Here, I got you this is Kuwait." Alex handed his sister something small wrapped in silk.

It was a palm shaped amulet, almost as if bloomed from a lotus flower, with an open eye etched in the center.

"It's called a hamsa." Alex explained to his sister. "The woman I bought it from says it's to ward off the evil eye."

"Just what every twelve year old girl needs." Rick chuckled.

"I'd say so." Evy agreed, without a hint of sarcasm. "When I was a girl, my mother made Jonathan and I similar amulets called khamaysa; charms to protect us." She moved her daughter's hair aside and fastened the clasp shut. "I can't believe I'd forgot about them until now. Surely I'd always meant to make a set for the pair of you."

It had been over two years since they'd all been together. The war had ended, but the country bore its scars like an old pox mark. Everywhere you went, there were still signs of it. But not here, not tonight. Tonight she listened to her older brothers stories of his latest explorations, the people he had met, food he'd eaten. How in some parts of the world the air was hot and dry and tasted of spice, while in others just stepping outside could freeze the hair on your head within a matter of seconds. She'd listen to him long into the evening, when the fire had withered to embers and she could barely keep her eyes open.