TWENTY

Selena hadn't been home when the driver had arrived. He'd called within an hour, but Rick could barely hear him, the static on the line like gravel through a blender. But he'd heard all he'd needed; no one knew where his daughter was.

He didn't know what to do, how to keep his head clear. Evy who in all walks to life was composed and clear-headed, was dangerously close to spiraling.

Like Rick, it was infinitely preferable for Evy to imagine their daughter had done this of her own volition; an act of rebellion. But Evy couldn't help but wonder...had an old enemy re-emerged? Had their child been the collateral damage on their behalf? Or a victim of the world's casual cruelty to women, especially young pretty woman? Alone in the city, even London?

"We should have brought her to the station ourselves." Evy told Rick again and again. "Why didn't we Rick? Why did we just leave her?"

"She's seventeen Evy. She's not a kid, and she's a not stupid."

Down the hall, Alex had spent the morning calling London. Or at least, he's been trying to, but lines either rang busy or to connect to nothing but dead air. Until the line finally, finally connected.

"Wolfe here."

"Professor." Alex felt some of the tension release from his shoulders. "You're in London then?"

"I am dear boy."

"Have you heard from my sister?" Alex wrapped the cord tight around his fist. It was rude, certainly not the British way of things, but he needed answers. "Sorry...but well, I wouldn't call you like this if it wasn't urgent."

"I haven't, no." The professors voice rose with surprise. "Why, is everything alright? I thought she was at school, up north?"

"She was supposed to get on a train back to Bristol two days ago but she never arrived."

"Oh dear. I'm so sorry, but I haven't. Oh, your poor mother and father must be worrying themselves sick." A pause: "But...I take it then you are unaware what's... transpiring in London?"

"What's going on?" Dread reemerged like bile in Alex's gut.

"A terrible thickening of smog descended a few days ago. Worse then I've ever seen. Less than an hour after it approached, the entire city had grounded to a halt."

"Trains?" Alex pressed the receiver hard to his ear.

The driver had brought her to Victoria Station, but if her train never made it out of the station...

"Dear boy, no one is getting out of London. Or in for that matter. Power has been unreliable, streets empty. And it's only grown worse by the hour. They're even talking of a vote of no confidence on Churchill, it's that serious."

"That must be it." Alex sighed, wiping the sweat from his brow with the end of his sleeve. "I hate to burden you Professor, but..."

"I will visit your parents' estate as soon as I am able." Wolfe promised. "It's possible your poor sister has become another stranded soul."

"Thank you. Mum and dad are in a panic, they're even considering going back to find her."

If they can even get to London. God...he was going to have to explain to Evy and Rick their flight might not even take off, that they might be just as stranded as his sister. The thought made him sick.

"I'm sure she's alright." Wolfe tried to reassure him. "She's a clever one, like her older brother. I'll report back to you as soon as I'm able, but I fear the power grid may have opposing plans."

"Thank you." Alex said again. "Professor, thank you."

"Of course dear boy."

Evy's attention snapped to her son as soon as he appeared in the hallway.