Chapter 5

Lan awoke in the morning when a beam of sunlight reached his eyes. Surprised, he noticed that Moiraine was still in his arms and asleep. She hadn't moved at all.

The warder took a deep breath, then he closed his eyes again and searched for the bond between Moiraine and him. He was rewarded with silence. No feelings, no presence, nothing. He was alone with his thoughts and feelings. He sighed and buried his nose in Moiraine's hair. It felt strange to be close to her and not be able to feel her.

'Light. It looks as if Nynaeve is right. A part of myself is missing. I definitely need to find a way to unmask our bond.'

Suddenly, Moiraine shrugged then she opened her eyes. Lan waited until she realized where she was before he moved his hand over her back. "You're still here."

"Looks like it.", Lan murmured in her hair.

"I'm surprised that Nynaeve isn't here to look for you."

"You mean to yell at you."

"She drives me crazy."

"She wants to know what happened to Rand. You can't tell me that you wouldn't ask questions if someone would tell you that Siuan was gone." Immediately, Moiraine stiffened by his words, then she tried to push herself up. Lan sighed and pulled her close to his chest again. "Don't."

"Get out of my room!"

"Moiraine, please stop being so stubborn. I'm not asking about Rand." She stopped in her attempts, but Lan noticed that she was on high alert about what he would do next. His other hand found its way back to her hair, which he stroked gently until he felt how her body relaxed again. "How do you feel?"

Her fingertips were drawing circles on his bare chest, but she didn't answer. Without a warning, Lan turned her on her back, so, he was lying on top of her. "Lan!", she complained, but he didn't care.

"I told you that you should talk to me."

"Well, I'm not in the mood. So, leave." Tired, she put her arm over her eyes to avoid his staring. As if she could get rid of him that easily. She should know him better by now.

Finally, Moiraine realized that her warder wouldn't move, so, she tried to move him. It was hard for Lan to keep his stoic face, while this woman was trying unsuccessfully to move his bigger and heavier body. When this didn't work, she tried to move her own body, but still, he was heavier than her and he had pinned her down very well. It only took her a few minutes, then she let herself fall back and released a short, frustrated scream.

This time, Lan couldn't hide his smile. "Are you ready to talk now?"

"No!" She threw him her best evil eye, which didn't work on him. Frustrated, she let her head fall back on the pillow and closed her eyes again. "Why don't you go and look after Nynaeve and the others?"

"Because I want answers."

"And I'd like some space. You're heavy."

"Talk to me and I will move." Lan watched carefully how Moiraine was trying to calm herself. He felt how her fingers were moving as if she was trying to use the One Power. She probably wished, she could use the air to remove him. He reached out his hand and cupped her cheek, while his thumb was gently caressing her skin. Immediately, she leaned into his touch before she moved her head to the other side, but he didn't let go.

"Moiraine." Her eyes fluttered open when he whispered her name softly, and he saw the pain in them. "Talk."

"I don't know what you want to hear."