• Chapter One •

V hated her name. Vivian. She thought it sounded stupid. Too formal for her liking. She always wished she had a gender-neutral name, like Spencer or Riley. But until she turned eighteen, she was stuck with Vivian. Though she was glad that nicknames exist. Hence the name, V. Though it's technically a letter. Still counts.

V opened her eyes to feel the sun's bright rays shining down on her tired eyes. Groaning, she rubbed them, and turned to her side which faced away from the window. She knew it was time to get up. She didn't want to. V wasn't a morning person like her parents. Though she didn't consider herself to be a night owl either. She didn't like to go to sleep too late.

Just as she was about to doze off, she heard a knock on her door. She didn't answer however. Maybe whoever was at the door would realize that she was still asleep, and leave. Unfortunately that didn't happen. Andy, her father, came in a few moments after knocking.

"Time to get up, V," said Andy. She groaned and turned to face her father. He was dressed in a fancy white button shirt, with a belt and black dress pants. He slightly leaned against the door frame.

"I don't wanna go to school, Daddy. Don't make me." whined V. Andy chuckled at his daughter.

"That's what you say every morning, hon."

"And I'll keep saying it. Until you finally let me stay." V grumbled, sitting up slightly.

Andy walked over and sat down on V's bed. He took her tiny hand in his large one, and gently rubbed his thumb against her knuckles.

"You can do it, V. You've done it almost every day for four years. What's one more day?" said Andy, smiling at her. V looked down at their intertwined hands, and blinked slowly.

"Today I just don't feel like it." she muttered.

"I understand. Both mommy and I feel that way too, sometimes. Some days you just wanna lay in the bed, and not do anything. And it's okay to do that sometimes. But you just can't make it a habit. 'Cause believe it or not, that'll make you feel even worse."

V only shrugged her shoulders. It was quiet for a moment, until Andy spoke up again.

"Tell you what, how about after school today, you, Jacob and I go and get some ice cream together?" Andy suggested. V's face lit up at his suggestion. She eagerly nodded, and Andy smiled.

"Good. I'll leave you to get dressed," said Andy. He leaned down and pressed a kiss to her forehead, and left the room. V sighed as she just got up to get ready. Though she was excited to know she'd be getting ice cream, it didn't change the fact that she didn't want to go to school. 

                           ●・○・●・○・●

V trudged downstairs and to the kitchen where the rest of her family were. Andy was making coffee, and Laurie was quizzing Jacob.

"Good morning, Mommy." V greeted, as she hugged her mother. Laurie smiled.

"Good morning, sweetie," said Laurie as she kissed her cheek. V walked over to Jacob and hugged his waist.

"Hi brother." she said, as she smushed her face into his side. Jacob awkwardly patted her back.

"Hey V." he said. V finally let go, and went to fix a bowl of cereal. She tried her best to reach the cabinet where the dishes were, but to no avail.

"Jake, can you get a bowl for me please? I can't reach it." V asked, stepping down from her tippy toes. Jacob walked over and grabbed a white bowl, handing it to her. She thanked him, and went to get some cereal from the pantry and milk from the fridge.

After V finished making her bowl, she sat at the kitchen island and began to munch on her breakfast. She saw Jacob getting ready to leave, and quickly stepped down from her seat and ran to him giving him another hug.

"Bye bye Jacob. Have a good day." V smiled, looking up at him. Jacob smiled and hugged her back.

"You too, V." She let him go, and went back to her cereal. Laurie went upstairs to finish getting dressed, which left just her and Andy. He too sat at the island, drinking his coffee.

"Hey daddy, did you know that octopus have three hearts?" said V. Andy smiled.

"I didn't, thanks for letting me know."

"You're welcome!" V said proudly.

                            ●・○・●・○・●

Laurie and V pulled up to Newton Elementary School. It was an ugly school, with dull colors and old bricks. It was built in 1996, first serving as a high school. But because of its small size with little classrooms, it changed into an elementary school.

"Have a good day, honey." Laurie said, waving goodbye.

"Bye." mumbled V. She hated her school. It was just so boring. It could something to make it brighter. She stepped out of the car, and onto the sidewalk. V waved to her friend, Katie who was waiting for her near the entrance.

And so. the two walked into the school together and to their classroom. And for a moment, V was happy.

And as quickly as it came, the moment ended.

Author's Note:

Hi. Hope you enjoyed this first chapter. I don't really have anything to say, so i'll just see you next chapter! Bye.