Chapter 2: Barrier

Keefe's POV:

The pain was too much. He couldn't handle it.  So he built himself a barrier, separating him from the torture.  He built it with stones of anger, filled it with cement of fear, and covered it with hard paint of agony.

Then he hid behind the barrier, concealed from the rest of the world.  It was calm. Peaceful. Quiet. Dark. Numb. It was everything he needed it to be.  And so he walked away, farther into his mind.  He walked further and further away, behind the barrier.  He could hear a faint voice, calling his name, but the shadows muffled the words, till he couldn't hear them anymore.  He continued walking for a long, long time.  Then, something strange happened. 

It was almost like when you're in a room, with one lightbulb burnt and you don't realize until someone fixes it, then you go "Wow, it's so much brighter!". 

 Except it was with darkness.  Somehow, pitch-black got darker, and it almost felt clearer. Then he heard another voice, but this one was different.  And it sounded as though the shadows themselves were speaking.

"Please, Keefe. Please come back. I can't do this without you. Please, I need you. You mean so much more to me than you know. Please stay. Stay with me. Please, Keefe." At those last words, the voice let out a small sob. "P-please. D-don't leave m-me. I n-need you. Keefe."  

He knew that voice.  And in that instant, he realized he would always come back for him.  He set off running back towards the barrier.  He tried to take it down, but it was too hard.  He was about to give up when suddenly the shadows rushed in.  They infiltrated every crack and seeped in every indent.  Then they expanded, and the wall stretched and shook, and finally exploded.

With the wall taken down, nothing was protecting him from the pain, and a wave of agony washed over him.  But he didn't let it break him.  He would go through the suffering a hundred times for the person in the shadows.

He opened his eyes slowly, but even so, the light burned his vision, a fierce and fiery sun after the peaceful shadows in his mind.  He had expected to be alone, but someone had immediately noticed his awakening.

"Keefe!" Whisper-yelled the owner of that voice, the one who brought him back.

Keefe blinked, confused.  There sat a boy with dark, dark circles under his bloodshot eyes, who looked as though he hadn't slept for a good month. A boy with beautiful silver-blue eyes, and black hair with silver tips.

"Tam?"

I'm sorry this is really bad but whatever.