CHAPTER FIFTEEN: Unclean

***(Y/N) POV***

It had taken me a good three days to get over my hangover.

I hadn't had that much to drink in a long time, if ever, but I still had a reasonably clear memory of what had happened that night. I kind of wished that I didn't. The things I had said to Niji had been mortifying.

Despite that, I hadn't been trying to avoid him, though it seemed like he was doing his best to have as little to do with me as possible. He'd humour me briefly if we ran into each other over the following week, but made no efforts to corner me as usual.

Ichiji hadn't either, much to my relief. He had left the clothes he had bought me poorly folded at the end of my bed, but it looked like he had given it his best shot. He'd give me the slightest of smiles in passing, but apart from that, nothing.

"Where are you off to?" Cosette spun to follow me with her eyes as I dashed past her out the door of the staffing quarters, very nearly causing her to spill the pail of water she was carrying.
"Y...Prince Yonji gets back today, and he specifically requested for me to be there for his return!" I replied, trying - and very much failing - to keep my excitement at bay.

Puzzled, Cosette gave me a strained smile, obviously seeing past my failed attempt.
"Right...You're an odd one, (Y/N). Be careful!"

I don't need to be!

With a skip in my step, I continued towards the large gap that had been left in the formation of the Germa Kingdom, knowing that was exactly where they would be when they arrived home.

I had missed Yonji. Our little rendezvous had been one of the few things that kept me in decent spirits. Out of everyone, I trusted him the most, second only to Cosette, even after the stuff he had pulled when I had first met him.

He wanted to learn. Feelings confused him to no end, but he wanted every explanation he could possibly squeeze out of me, not to mention the fact that he made me feel safe. Not once since that first evening of me brushing his slicked hair had he tried anything with me, so I trusted him.

When I arrived at the gap, the giant Sea Snails were already closing it up, soldiers standing upon the approaching edges in flawless formation. It didn't look like many, if any at all, had been lost, which was good.

Well, good for Germa...but not for whoever they were up against...

I maintained a safe distance, but I still almost lost my footing when they rejoined, the ground shaking beneath my feet for a few long moments. Patiently, I waited and watched everybody disperse, finally catching sight of Yonji heading towards the main castle.

Before I could even think about taking a single stepcin his direction, vibrant pink blocked my view, and I very nearly crashed right into a voluptuous chest.
"I wouldn't, if I were you."

Reiji's face held a stern expression when I looked up, and I took a small step back, wanting to distance myself but also not wanting to seem rude or disrespectful.
"P..pardon..?"

The Princess glanced back to her brother, who was stalking off into the distance, more hunched over than he usually was. He never hunched. Whenever I had seen him he had always held himself tall and proud.
"He's in a foul mood. I'd expect as much from Niji, but honestly, I'd prefer one of his hissy fits over what I just had to deal with..."

Did something happen?

Biting back the urge to ask questions, lest I seem suspicious, I returned my eyes to Reiju, waiting for her to continue or give me direction. When she looked back to me, her face softened the smallest amount. Or perhaps it didn't, it was hard to tell when it came to her.
"Whatever he ordered you to do upon his return, just ignore it. If he gets mad, just tell him I ordered you to do something else. I'll confirm it."