17. The Death Eater Invitation

November, Hogwarts Estates, 1968

"Remember! Think!"
"I think and think! But what am I supposed to think of?" Bellatrix bit her lower lip and waved her wand wildly.
"It doesn't work if you wave your wand like a mace!"
The black-haired witch crossed her arms defiantly, "You sound like McGonagall."
Hermione hurried over to the student. "If you – if you put yourself in danger like this, then – then you must master a few basic courses." The witch with the shaggy shock of hair shifted to Bellatrix.
"Please don't go there. There is another solution -"
"No, that doesn't exist!" The woman with the curly mane of hair interrupted her: "That's my way of avoiding a forced marriage! Believe me, I'll do anything for it!"
Hermione nodded.
When Bellatrix had that look, nothing and no one could deter her from her goal.
The false Selwyn knew this all too well, no matter whether Black or Lestrange was at the end of her name.

"Stupor!" she shrieked at that.
The red flash missed Hermione by inches.
She was shocked and relieved at the same time.
A slight sigh.
That was close.

When the sun was high in the sky and it was already midday, Hermione, Narcissa and Lucius were talking at the dining table.
The young man had just received a new pair of patent leather shoes from his father for passing his essay.
As a horde of first years ran past them, Lucius dropped them on his finery.
"See you little Mudbloods! You are soiling my shoes with your blood! They cost more than your parents earn in a year!" He pauses briefly and turns up his nose: "My shoes cost more than your house!"
Just as he was about to laugh arrogantly, Bellatrix pushed him aside.
The young woman held a letter in her hand.
"As much as I love it, Lucius, if you're teasing little Mudbloods, could you please leave me and Dolly alone?"
Rolling their eyes, the two got up and left the hall hand in hand.
"Bella, what is this?"
"The invitation." She grinned and ripped open the paper.

invited,
Bellatrix Druella Black,
Show up on time, in formal attire,
Bring your wand with you.
We await you at Riddle Manor - Little Hangleton,

The dark lord

Bellatrix looked at Hermione, panting.

She held her hand, whimpering.
"Doll, you know what we have to do."

A little later, Bellatrix fastened a sparkling brooch to her jet black cloak.
She looked fine, her hair slightly pinned back.
Hermione meanwhile brushed fine powder on her cheeks and tied her boots together.
It was already 6 pm and so the two witches slowly crept down the grounds of Hogwarts, near Hogsmead
There they held hands.
"Ready?"
"Damned! I've never been so ready in my entire life!"
And so the two went up in smoke.

Little Hangleton shone in a somber tone, single lanterns illuminated the winding streets and the houses looked deserted.
Hermione squeezed Bellatrix's hand tighter as she held her wand protectively in front of her friend.
"Right this way."
The two trudged down a cobblestone path that led to an old mansion.
Once there, the taller student whispered, "Alohomora."
The lock sprang open and the two students stepped through the gate.
Inside it stank of cheap rum, cobwebs, and cigars.
Less after a meeting point, more after an accident.
The two women gained access and trudged down the hall, straight into a living room.

In this, there was a long table, at the end of which a masked person had taken a seat.
Bellatrix dragged Hermione behind her.

Old, reserved gentlemen sat on the remaining chairs.
The one on the right of the host bore a certain resemblance to Rodolphus and the one right next to him looked exactly like Lucius.
Or like Draco.
All Hermione knew was that it was Abraxas Malfoy.
There was another one of the kind, earlier she would have thought that one Malfoy still walking on this world was enough.
The figures let their eyes wander to the two newcomers.
Now the dark lord pulled his hood off and his ugly grin appeared, which gave Hermione goosebumps.
He was different, not in appearance, as always, she was nearly afraid, seeing his red eyes sparkling.
But he didn't look completely destroyed, horrible, but not the way she remembered him.

He waved his wand wildly and didn't take his eyes off Bellatrix.
"Ms. Black, you've appeared. Just in time."
"Of course, my Lord." The eldest Black curtsied.
"And you brought someone with you." His thin lips managed a smile.
"Yes, yes, this is Selwyn, my lord."
Unlike Bella, Hermione stopped dead in her tracks, too frozen by the sight.
"Oh, how pleasant, the more the merrier. Would you both please sit down next to Mr. Yaxley?
Lord Voldemort indicated two empty seats next to their schoolmate.
But now Corban didn't look happy, no, rather scared.
Hermione knew the two had to get out of here.