19. Sweet Scent Of Firewhiskey

"You exposed me!" snapped Nee Black, crawling towards her bed.
Hermione stood in front of the makeup mirror and monitored her earrings.
"I saved you. From him - from yourself -!'
"You're talking nonsense, dolly!" Bellatrix lay on her velvet blanket, arms and legs stretched out in front of her, her wild curls on her face and a tired expression.
"You accused me! Me! He saw everything!"
"He's - he's awful."
Bellatrix moaned briefly and then exhaled.

"You're just jealous!"
Hermione's eyes widened, "Me? Jealous? Of you or what? That you can now join these criminals? Talking to that monster? Hell, he doesn't even have a nose! Why should I be jealous of you?"
"No!" She breathed a sigh of relief and pressed the backs of her hands against her hips: "Of him!"
Hermione raised her eyebrows.
"Am I jealous? Of the man who looks like he's fought with a horde of goblins?"
But Bellatrix wasn't listening, she staggered off the bed and grabbed Hermione's shoulder.
"Wasn't that the perfect opportunity to kiss me?"
"What?"
But her friend just breathed in her face.
Hermione smelled the strong, sweet scent of Firewhisky.
"You're drunk! Look what he did to you in just one night!"
"That was by far the best night of my life." Bellatrix slurred, stumbling and slumping on the floor. "And if they still want me in their ranks, you won't stop me! Just leave me alone!"

Hermione was shaking.
She looked at the sparkle in Bellatrix's eyes, the sparkle Harry had told her about when she killed his godfather.
"I don't want you to be like him! That they make you like that!"
"What?" The young Black scrambled to her feet and clasped Hermione's chin, beads of sweat rising to the brown-haired witch's forehead.
She got tears in her eyes and this made Bellatrix laugh.
"To a monster? Doll? Why by Merlin's beard are you so worried about me?"
"I'm not!" Hermione's face turned fiery red.
"Of course you are! You've been nipping at my heels ever since you got here! I want an answer!" She screeched, staggering across the room.
The student wiped numerous sheets of paper off one of the wooden desks in one motion, kicking its wood, yelling all the time.
"What do you want from me!"
How Hermione would have loved to scream in her face that the reason was her sister's money.
About a pack.
And an illegal time turner.

But after everything that had happened, Hermione knew she wasn't a complete idiot and so she kept quiet.
Bellatrix stormed out of the room with quick steps, slammed the gate to the common room, and disappeared between the dirty stone walls.
The witch with the brown hair pulled her legs closer, closed her eyes, and dreamed of a world long gone.
Of the Burrow.
Of her former life.
Of her former friends.

The next morning Hermione had got ready.
She had noticed that powder was a wonderful way to cover reddened eyes.
Bellatrix would come around, tempestuous as she was.
So Selwyn trudged through the corridors, straight into the Great Hall of Hogwarts, where she could already spot Rabastan Lestrange and Lucius Malfoy.
She could see that dyed white-blond hair for miles, even though he always assured her that he was a natural blonde.
Just as naturally blonde as Hermione was a true Selwyn.
"Malfoy, have you seen Bella?"
He crossed his arms, "She's with Narcissa in a place you'd better not go. No matter what you've done, it's quite upset our favorite fury."
"Stay out of it!"
"I wonder what you've done, mixed green paint in her shampoo? Or maybe you wrote Bitch of Slytherin on her favorite robes in red paint?"
"No."
The young man wrinkled his nose, "I hope not! Because those are still my ideas!"
"Tell me or I'll tell Narcissa how you talk about her sis!" Hermione leaned forward and murmured it in the young Malfoy's ear.
He had to grin, "Bellatrix taught you a lot. Alright, they're in the Owlery, but if you tell her you to know that from me, I'll mix green dye in your shampoo!"

Hermione had to grin and said goodbye.
Even though her stomach growled with pain and hunger, Bella was more important to her.
It was cold and she couldn't help shivering.
Just as Hermione crossed the forte to the lands, she ran into a couple.
She stumbled and recognized her friend.
"Bella-" But she realized it wasn't her, it was her sister, "I'm sorry Andromeda."
The latter glanced around nervously.
The fake Selwyn's gaze fell on a young man wearing a yellow and black tie, looking quite puzzled and trying to hide a kiss mark on his neck.
The second eldest Black grabbed them both by the coats and dragged them behind a fir tree covered in snow.

"Hermione, this is Ted Tonks."
"Hey." she reached out and raised an eyebrow at him, "You're a Hufflepuff? Have you been -"
"Together, yes." Spoke Andromeda, looking from left to right in panic, "Please don't tell Bella."
Hermione paused, she really couldn't break another secret from Bellatrix now.
However, Tonks came to her mind.
Nymphadora Tonks, who would beat her had she realized she was thinking of her first name.
Tonks.

Another person whose hearty laugh Hermione missed.
Another voice that faded into miserable nothingness.
She knew what was going to happen to Ted.
She had to grin, wanted to do something.
But she had already changed enough and playing with time was even more dangerous than playing with red hot coals.
"You can count on me, Bellatrix won't hear a word I say."
They said their goodbyes and spoke of the devil.
Bellatrix that is.
Though that was the same in some situations.
A silhouette loomed on the horizon, she spied the young woman who captivated her with her twinkling eyes.

Just like at their first meeting in the library.
And now she knew.
The reason for her behavior was not Narcissa's money.