FIVE

"South of America. It's like America, but south."

- Ellie, Up

• • •

[5] T H E O N E W I T H T H E B R O T H E R

"Do you think he's dead?"

"What? No. He's just sleeping."

"But he isn't moving. He's dead."

"Really?"

"Do you think I can get his laptop?"

"Eugene!"

"What? He's dead after all."

"WH-what? What are you even talking about. Of course not. He's just in deep sleep."

"Did he go near a spinning wheel?"

"Huh?"

"You said he's in deep sleep. He needs to go near a spinning wheel. You don't know? Okay. . . . . JAY! JAY! JAY! DID YOU TOUCH A SPINNING WHEEL?" Eugene questions, saying his words loud and clear as if Jay doesn't speak English. When no response comes, he looks up. A small groan comes, as Jay rolls around on the love seat. He yawns, rubbing his eyes. "River? I think he's alive. OH MY GOD THE UNIVERSE HAS BLESSED OUR BROTHER!"

Jay blinks his eyes, squinting, as he looks up at the two faces hovering him.

"Hey, Jay," his older brother smiles down at him. Jay registers the brown eyes, and coffee hair.

"RIVER!" Jay yells, falling of the love seat. H groans, his hands awkwardly crook beneath him. He lays his head on the cool wood.

"What a way to greet your brother, Jay," River chuckles.

Still on the floor, Jay mumbles, "Look, I didn't know you'd be stopping by."

Jay rolls over to lay on his back. River sticks his hand out for his brother. Jay grabs it, and River lifts him to his feet. Jay laughs, hugging his brother. "God, it's been forever!"

"I'm sorry. I had work in Denmark. I couldn't come with you both," River purses his lips.

"I thought you were ill?" Jay smirks, crossing his hands over his chest. He raises his eyebrows at his twenty-five year old brother. "What happened?"

"I didn't want to break Eug's heart okay," River does a very bad job of whispering, pointing at the younger brother just standing there.

"HEY! I'M STRONG! Oh, and I found someone. . ." Eugene bats his eyelashes.

River eyes widen and he gives Jay a horrified look. "I disappear for five days, and this six-year old has gotten a girlfriend?"

Jay licks his lips. "There's this girl. Felicity Steele. She's my age. Uh, Eugene's grown a lovin' for her."

"What? She's pretty, kind, and everything Jay isn't," Eugene shrugs.

"Eugene, older women is Jay's department. We stick to our ladies," River crouches down to his the youngest brother's height. "Okay?"

"But," Eugene pouts, "Jay doesn't want her."

Jay gapes at him, "What? I never said that!"

"So, you're implying you do want her?" River smirks, standing up again. He looks tired. His hair was messy, just like Jay's. His brown eye didn't hold as much as light.

"Since you stick to your ladies, what happened to Céline?"

"We promised not to talk about her," River blushes.